You are not logged in.

Robobrew HERMS

• Sieve182
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #2274 by Sieve182
Robobrew HERMS was created by Sieve182
Hello fellow HBs,

This may be a complete overkill and useless idea, but has anyone done a Robobrew HERMS set up or has anyone thought of such a thing?

My thoughts were to use the RB's chiller as well as my recirc setup(magnetic pump, ball valve on top, and run it as you would normally, but run it through the chiller inside the hot water urn(looking at buying the one from Grain Father). Obviously would have to keep the sparge water temp in the urn at your mash temp and then slowly raise it to mash out/sparge temps before raising the malt pipe and sparging.
Just wondered if anyone had done such a thing or thought it necessary to play around with the bit of kits they had just to see if you could keep temps that much more efficiently?

Cheers everyone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #2275 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Robobrew HERMS
Yep you could, you'd turn the robobrew off I guess too. I'm halfway through making a herms system like this for my 3V setup, but it could be used on any system. So far all my tests have shown the robobrew to be pretty good with temps and just a pump and hose, but if you want to use a PID and get finer control it maybe worth it. Cheers!

• Sieve182
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #2277 by Sieve182
Replied by Sieve182 on topic Robobrew HERMS
Cheers Gash, I thought it was quite good as is with a pump. I commented in aussiehomebrewer about a scorched element/bottom plate on the RB after my last brew because I tried a step mash with this schedule:

15 mins 45C(Beta-glucanase rest), 30 mins 55C(Protein(ase) rest), then up to 65C for 50 mins, then 10 mins 68C, then up to 78C Mash out 10 mins.

Recipe was: 2.22kg Maris Otter
2.22kg pale malt
.44kg light crystal
.44kg Cara-pils
.66kg Flaked Oats
.66kg Flaked Barley
.2kg rice hulls

Another member mentioned the reason I got the black build up was from trying to use the element for heating up after the protein rest(not sure if I believe this 100%), though I think the fact I mashed in with about 15-17L of strike water rather than for this bill going to about 20-23L didn't help matters at all. So that was part of my thought behind creating a HERMS system as above so I could control temps through the urn until I got above any scorching issues in the RB.
Thoughts?

More
7 years 2 months ago #2278 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Robobrew HERMS
Ok yeah that makes more sense if step mashing, but I also agree with you, you should of mashed in with more water with that grain bill. At least 19L maybe more. I probably wouldn't of put both elements on either, not sure what you did there. That's quite a step mash for a simple system! My gut feeling says too thick a wort was the main cause. That's a fairly long long process too guess it would've taken a few hours all up including boil, your going to get more build up the longer it takes of course, in just about any system.

Maybe try one before you get your herms built with a thinner mash, but yep a herms would prevent that.

Cool, very interesting, keep me informed! Cheers mate.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top