You are not logged in.

Low ABV gutted

• Jamrobs20
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #2463 by Jamrobs20
Low ABV gutted was created by Jamrobs20
Absolutely gutted.

Was doing an American IPA with an est gravity of 6%. It's my second all grain brew. Think I messed up the equipment profile on Beersmith. I'm using a Robobrew. I followed Beersmith to the letter and the beer has come out with an estimated 3%. Just put in to primary fermenter. I think I sparged with too much water. I was hoping for a 15L batch and I got a 19.5L batch. Just gone in to the fermenter. Is there anyway to save this or is it now a middy? My run off gravity was 0.950. We live and learn
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #2464 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Low ABV gutted
Thats a very strange BS brew day its says you were estimated 1.044 post mash but you got 1.051 which is more. What was the recipe? Cheers!

• Jamrobs20
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #2465 by Jamrobs20
Replied by Jamrobs20 on topic Low ABV gutted
I can't really see where I went wrong. I tested my hydrometer and even adjusted it for temp in BS. I did it exactly as BS told me with the equipment profile (which I don't think I've got right). It got me to mash with 15.07L and sparge with 15.3L for a 15L batch. I measured the sparge run-off and it came back as 0.950 - I measured it twice and adjusted for temp (which adjusted it up!) So I don't get that. Pre boil 1.052, 90 min boil, OG 1.034, 19.5L in to fermenter. And to top it off I pitched the yeast as it said on the instructions (110g wort at 27° for 11.5g yeast, leave it for 20 mins, then gently stir for 30 mins and pitch to the fermenter) and after 24 hours there's no movement in the airlock or krausen. Safale US-05. I think I'm going to have to deem this one a write off if I don't see any movement after 72 hours but I'd love to know where I went wrong or what I've got wrong in the equipment profile
Attachments:

More
6 years 9 months ago #2466 by Gash
I see lots wrong in the beersmith pics, I just gotta spend some time with the wife tonight, but I'll go through it better tomorrow. FOr instance it says preboil volume should be 22 litres yet you mashed and sparged with 30L grain may of held about 3-4L, things just dont add up. Have you seen the BS profile I have in this forum?

• Jamrobs20
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #2468 by Jamrobs20
That would be amazing if you could mate. No I haven't seen it... I'm aiming to do 15L batches due to cost at the moment. This is my second brew. My first didn't go so well either, in that I got near my gravity but ended up with 5L LESS than I planned. So I'm way way off with my volumes

• Jamrobs20
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #2472 by Jamrobs20
Hi Gash I've updated my Beersmith with the profile you posted on 01/01 - fantastic BTW thanks! Just a couple of stupid questions. The batch volume is set to 23L. If I wanted to change that to make a 15L batch what else would I need to change to make it all match up? I'm assuming the boil volume currently at 28L - do I just change this to 20L to account for the smaller batch? Although with less grain means less water lost due to less grain absorbtion... is that right? If I wanted to change the boil time to 90 mins would I need to change anything else? Thanks mate you're a star
Attachments:

More
6 years 9 months ago #2475 by Gash
If you make the batch volume about 18L so you get 15L out without out tipping up and it gives you some play in final volume amount. Then click adjust boil volume automatically that should get you close hopefully. Theres a couple of things I would worry about though. I think you will probably get a harder/hotter boil and so more boil off because of the lower amount of water than the usual 28 or so litres, hopefully by setting it at 18L will make up for that too. The other thing is you mash. I havent seen the newer mash baskets if thats what you have, but in mine doing a small mash like that would be hard due to there being a lot of space at the bottom under the basket that the grain doesnt get too, so the mash would be a lot thicker then it should be if just going by BS usual brew amounts. If you follow the instructions that I put up with the robobrew profile BS should just give you one amount, so what you'd have to do is add maybe 2/3 of that amount which might be about 16L at a total guess, mix in the grain well and see how it is, should be like fairly loose porridge. and then sparge with whatever is left. Hopefully that makes sense. FIrst go will still be a bit of an experiment due to the batch size, but it should be a lot better than the last attempt. If you want me to look for it again when you think its ready let me know. Cheers!
Attachments:

• Jamrobs20
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #2477 by Jamrobs20
Thanks mate really good advice! When I've been mashing with around 15L for 4kg of grain on my 2 batches it hasn't been too thick and easily stirable. I'll up the batch to 18L as you suggest. You say check the calculate boil volume automatically box... in your profile you've left it unchecked. If I check it it adds between 1.5L to 3L to the boil depending on the batch size. Will that be safe? Why do you leave it unchecked in your profile? Thanks as always

More
6 years 9 months ago #2478 by Gash
I had it unchecked because it wasn't need for my profile, I'm not saying this next brew you do will be perfect, I just don't know what numbers to give brewing at 15L. It could be close or could be off again, but I think you'll be closer than you were before. Take notes this time, as many as you can, and we'll see what happens. Also check any jugs or whatever you use for measuring water, my scientific jug I thought would be accurate but at 2 Ltrs it was about 200ml off, which adds up if you're adding 10ltrs. Weighing it is the best way if you have some decent kitchen scales or something lol.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #2479 by Gash
Just weigh one jug and use that. 1ltr = 1 kg of course
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Gash.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top