You are not logged in.

NEW BEERSMITH ROBOBREW PROFILE AUGUST 2017

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #2618 by Ccclaw13
Replied by Ccclaw13 on topic NEW BEERSMITH ROBOBREW PROFILE AUGUST 2017
Hi I'm new to the Robobrew and tried to make my own robobrew profile but after sparging using the amount listed in BeerSmith found I had completely filled the kettle. So I just tested your profile but the same thing seems to be happening. It tells me to add 4.8 gallons for the mash and then sparge with 3.93 gallons. From previous experience this will get me way above the 7.3 gallons I'm looking for at pre-boil. Is there any way to adjust the sparge amount down so it's more accurate for me or am I messing something up somewhere?
Thank you for the help!
-Chris
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Ccclaw13.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago #2636 by Gash
sorry mate. didnt see this question!

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 6 months ago #2637 by Gash
Chris you must be close to that amount, looking at that you'd probably should only be a quart or so over your amount? The best way I have found, in any system of brewing is to just get to know what amount you'll usually need. So you know each time and can tweak BS to what works for you. So if you end up with 2 quarts over your wanted amount at the end of the brew, use 2 quarts less next time and see how you go. I'd also double check whatever you are using for measuring water, I have found 90% at least of measuring jugs are weigh out, its best to fill one up and weigh it on a reliable scale and just see how accurate it is.

Cheers mate

More
6 years 3 months ago #2924 by Sammyseadog
Replied by Sammyseadog on topic NEW BEERSMITH ROBOBREW PROFILE AUGUST 2017
Hi Gash,

Can you post the link to your video pease? I've just done the same with the robobrew as everyon else here and ended up with too much wort. I juts evaporated like crazy and added it in later, but got less efficiency than expected, but 1.055 from 6kg grain wasn't too bad. Might reiterate next time and video that for everyone, just wanted one to work from....yours!!

Cheers Sam

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago #2925 by Gash
G'day Sam, What amount of wort are you expecting/wanting to get out? Have you accurately measured your water amounts? I'm not sure what video you want? Cheers mate

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago #2926 by Gash
G'day Sam, What amount of wort are you expecting/wanting to get out? Have you accurately measured your water amounts? I'm not sure what video you want? Cheers mate

More
6 years 3 months ago #2927 by Sammyseadog
Hey Gash,

I wanted 30litres but realise now that the unit can't truly make that. Did 7kg grain, 21litre mash and 16 spare but had about 3 litres left out. I'll just go 6kg grain bill next time.

Anyway, On page 3 of this thread you mentioned:

The Robobrew video I uploaded a week or so ago shows a brew with 18L and 14L. And the Video I'll upload in the next week will be the brew I did 18L and 16.8L.

I've since found you on YouTube, but only looked at the fermentasaurus video briefly. Will look at robobrew stuff later. I think I used too much strike water so I'm not too bothered, 1.055 is Gonna be a good red ale for xmas!

Living and learning as always with the brews!!

I'll look through your videos and see if they answer all my questions.

Cheers

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 3 months ago #2928 by Gash
Try this method, use my equipment profile and mash profile (mash temp can be changed to suit your beer) Change batch size to 24L I usually mash in for 5kg to 17-18L, 6kg maybe start with 18L, can add more if you think its needed. When sparging just sparge till your level in the robobrew is up to the top mark, I think its 30L mark. 60min boil will get about +-23L out. Thats all I do, its very easy that way. Sparge water amounts can vary due to lots of things, grain crush, dryness of grain, how tight the grain bed is etc. Keep a record of what you do and you can try and adjust the levels in the profile to match what you do typically. The bigger grain bills you go eff% often drops in all brewing systems unless you really work the mash by stirring etc to help it along.

More
6 years 3 months ago #2929 by Dilligaf666
Replied by Dilligaf666 on topic NEW BEERSMITH ROBOBREW PROFILE AUGUST 2017
I've been following this method - that I picked up from one of Gash's videos.
I can confirm the last 5 or 6 batches I have ended up with about 23 litres
I use 5-6 kg grain -17 litres of water ( I put a mark inside the robobrew next to the etchings. - I carefully weighed and measured 17 litres and made a measurement marker with a dremmel) - for what its worth its just under the 19l mark.
This is always my starting volume of water now. I have been doing pale ales and similar - with 3 different grains - never had a stuck sparge or issues with draining through the malt pipe.

As Gash said above - I just add sparge water until its nearly full - about the 30l mark.
I measure what I add - and its pretty much always 15 litres

I watch the boil like a hawk when the temp gets to 100 degrees and spray cold water on the foam at the hot break and get no boil over - From Gash's vids I think he uses a defoaming agent.

After an hour rolling boil I can actually get close to 25 litres wort out of the robobrew if I tip it up into the fermenter... Although I prefer no chill at the moment - so if I tip into a cube I use a filter ( sieve)

I have done a batch with just over 7 kg grain (a black IPA) - I think it had 18 litres water - but it was pretty thick
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sammyseadog

More
6 years 3 months ago #2930 by Sammyseadog
Thanks for your info. I was just playing it by numbers but it didn't match the kettle, but it was my first crack at it.

Next normal mash I'm gonna give it 6kg and 18 litres and then sparge to the top and spray like crazy at hot break (pretty standard!) As its Xmas I'm going to try a reiterated mash, so after sparging I'm gonna add more grain and mash for another hour to try and make a really good IPA. Just read this article and would be keen on your thoughts:

www.grainfather.com/blog/week-74-reitera...mashing/?___store=au

I have a feeling that if you mash and sparge with the amounts in the article and then try to add in more grain it will overflow, so I'll just sparge the first one to have 6 litre head space left for the second batch of grain and sparge the second one up to the top. Seems like a fun experiment to me and will mean we can get a good amount of high ABV from a robobrew.

Thoughts?!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top