You are not logged in.

First AG brew just need clarification

• Dave Harry
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 5 months ago #2816 by Dave Harry
First AG brew just need clarification was created by Dave Harry
G'day Gash and fellow members,

I'm heading towards my first AG brew this weekend and just need some clarification on beersmith and the dead space in my mash tun please. So I emptied the mash tun with water and found that it has 4 litres of dead space. But there was no grain in there. Should I go ahead with putting the grain in for the first mash and include the 4 litres in the beer smith strike water volume or what is the best approach there?

Thanks
Cheers
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #2817 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic First AG brew just need clarification
Umm I'll start with dead space, when you drained it did you have a hose on the tap that ends up lower than the bottom of the mash tun so you get a siphon happening?
If you've entered the 4L in beersmith lauter tun dead space in your equipment profile Beersmith adds it for you.
I should ask what sort of mash tun is it? and what are you using to filter as in false bottom or manifold, etc
Cheers!

• Dave Harry
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 5 months ago #2818 by Dave Harry
Replied by Dave Harry on topic First AG brew just need clarification
G'day Gash. No there was no hose attached to the ball valve tap, just a hose barb The manifold is cPVC and I measured the water left in the tun with the tap open as the water level was lower than the drain hole. I also emptied the water caught in the manifold and added that to the water left in the tun with the total being 4 litres. In Beersmith I put the tun dead space as 4 litres and ticked the box that adds the dead space to the strike water calculation.
Cheers!
Dave

More
6 years 5 months ago #2819 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic First AG brew just need clarification
Cool, you'll find if the manifold is right down the bottom wehn you have a hose on the barb it'll probably suck out another few litres, but that doesnt really matter, see how go mate and good luck!

• Dave Harry
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 5 months ago #2820 by Dave Harry
Replied by Dave Harry on topic First AG brew just need clarification
Thanks for that Gash, cheers yeah really looking forward to the first brew and appreciate the advice, all good!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top