You are not logged in.

32A Electric Brewery System

• xenon
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 11 months ago #1318 by xenon
32A Electric Brewery System was created by xenon
I'm helping a mate setup an Electric Brewery and have been asked to document it with a few pics. I'll update this thread as it goes down.

His system is for 50 liter batches, however the box is capable of running far more and is expandable. Its based on www.theelectricbrewery.com but adapted slightly for AUS/NZ and his requirements. The website outlines the complete how to on the board and is an easy read. At present the system will have. 2x 2200W for Boil. 2x 2200W for HLT. 1x 2200Watt converted jug HERMS coil and Pump. Possible 5500W boil pot expansion. I'm sure there is other stuff i'm missing. Will post as I learn. Or ask if there is anything you want to know...

The 32 amp circuit is going in his house very soon. I can provide a parts list and some limited advice. I'm in NZ and here we can wire up to the board. 32A is a future proof thing. The draw and wattage is overkill but time is an issue for this mate and money is not. So maximum attack heat and then ramp back.

The box has solid state relays, PID controllers, timers, buzzers, RTD probes. You can fill the HLT before bed. 6.30 am it will time on and start heating. Mash in. Select a programmed mash schedule and walk away. It will sound an alarm. Couple of cam-locks switch the pump. Start the boil. Set the timer walk away. Just needs to teach the dog to add the hops when the buzzer sounds. Cooling will be either a bank of plate chillers immersed in ice or a large counter flow chiller immersed in ice. Yet to be decided.

There is a large learning curve when it comes to programming the PID's hopefully I can help here to. Google PID's if you have a spare weekend :blink: nah should be sweet.

Attached is the first pic. If electric brewing is your thing, then enjoy. Will be a pretty cool setup when its all going.

Cheeeeeers
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago #1319 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic 32A Electric Brewery System
Great looking box, sounds like a cool set up!

More
9 years 10 months ago #1384 by Tonyj
Replied by Tonyj on topic 32A Electric Brewery System
What a well thought out and wonderful arrangement. I'd like to ask 2 questions thoug:
1. Would it be possible to outline the costs as you go; and
2. When are you planning to holiday here in Newcastle? Please!!!

Cheers, Phil

• xenon
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 10 months ago #1387 by xenon
Replied by xenon on topic 32A Electric Brewery System
Well I can't claim that its my smarts. As above it is copy but adapted for NZ regulation and my mates particular needs.

1. Costs? He has collected bits from all over place already before I got involved. If you have a mate (me) in the electrical industry it will be a lot cheaper. How ever electrical items are alot cheaper in the UK than NZ. I managed an Edmundsons in Tottenham. There are ways and means if your thrifty. You'll get away with cheap imported stuff in places and then you should spend your money on the parts that really matter like the PID's and parts crucial to safety and longevity. Even though I can source materials cheap the build itself will have a cost. I will attempt to guess. But I can say my mate has spent thousands already. Money not an issue but his time is. see attached photo and look close at all the cool stuff lying round. This system is completely ridiculous and that's why its so freaking cool. The average large brewery test system (from what I have seen online) isn't as sophisticated.

2. I Lived in London for 2 years and now back with an 18 month old and a mortgage :lol: :lol: holiday not likely for some time :oops: . Brother in law still there so accommodation will be cheap and another mate from school has just had his first and lives in Manchester so i'd say at some stage we'll be back. Although it wont be soon sorry. ;)

• xenon
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 10 months ago #1388 by xenon
Couple of photos of current progress. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Check out the cool stuff in the photos. The SS HERMS in the electric jug ( on the left) gets a bit lost, but its a cool piece of kit. Going to have a temp sensor on the inlet after the HERMS so it will manage mash temp as efficiently as possible.

32 Amp circuit in and hooked up. Finding a switch board builder now. My mates electrical drawing leaves alot to the imagination :lol:
Attachments:

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #1395 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic 32A Electric Brewery System
I just jealous of the pots before all the other technical stuff lol

• xenon
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 10 months ago #1397 by xenon
Tell me about it. They have some immaculate tig welding too. The one on the bench has a larger than usual element. To do with surface area and avoiding potential scorching apparently.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top