You are not logged in.

Coopers Extra Strong "13

More
8 years 1 month ago #1964 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Coopers Extra Strong "13
The Coopers site seem to think it could come out as a high carbed beer

STEP 3: Bottle
The brew may be bottled only after the SG readings are stable over a couple of days – it should finish around the 1008 to 1012 mark.
We recommend the use of PET bottles. Sturdy reusable glass bottles, designed for storing beer, should be used if planning to keep some of the brew in bottle beyond 18 months.
Prime at the normal rate of 8g/l (2 carbonation drops per 740/750 ml bottle) or slightly lower, in accordance with the style.

but the half filled bottles would be over carbed as thats a lot of sugar for a little bit of beer.

I find most strong ales to be weird tasting and usually take a long time to condition at least few months, by that time the hops will of mellowed a lot and the malt will taste better too. I think its a challenging beer flavour wise if you arent used to them, not sure if you are?

Give them some more time and see how they go!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #1965 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Coopers Extra Strong "13
Strong beers take a longer time to carb too

More
8 years 1 month ago #1969 by find_another_slave
Replied by find_another_slave on topic Coopers Extra Strong "13
Thanks for taking the time to comment mate.

I bulk primed this lot, as per your video, so assumed the over-carbonation had come from a over abundance of head space(i.e. oxygen) relative to the beer. I could be(and probably am) wrong about this.

I've had other people tell me this beer could be months in the making too...and am a reasonably big fan of this beer, though in more recent times, I've found it a bit malty for my liking (i seem to have picked up the moniker "Hop Snob" from some of my esteemed colleagues)

I will crack one this weekend, and see if it's improved any, but am happy to play the waiting game to see where things go over the coming months.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top