You are not logged in.

Coopers IPA - first crack at it

• Bradscholes
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #2234 by Bradscholes
Coopers IPA - first crack at it was created by Bradscholes
Having a go at a coopers IPA tonight. Little different than recommended though - time will tell how it comes out.

Added 500g LDM and 1kg brew enhancer 2 to 2L boiling water. Boiled 15g pride of Ringwood hops for 14 mins and 5g for 1 min. Steeped for 3 mins and then mixed in fermenter with IPA extract can to 23L.

Only my 3rd brew - have no idea what I'm in for here.

OG - 1044 which is strange - I thought it would be higher...

Tick....tick....tick....
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Bradscholes. Reason: Spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #2235 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Coopers IPA - first crack at it
Gday mate, OG sounds about right, not a typical hop for an IPA but saying that I haven't tried it in an IPA, it could be great! Really hard to tell with these experiments until you taste it. I probably would of did it the opposite way, the longer boil with the smaller amount and the larger amount for the steep to give a bit more flavour. My only worry would be that the long boil with 15g of hops might make it a little bitter, but thats a big 'might', and if it is too bitter that will settle down in time. Thats worse case scenario. Hopefully it'll turn out really good! Let us know! Did you taste it?

• Bradscholes
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago #2236 by Bradscholes
Replied by Bradscholes on topic Coopers IPA - first crack at it
I didn't taste it as unfortunately I have a cold and can't taste anything.

Funny thing is, I was looking for something a little more bitter as my draught and Aus Pale Ale haven't quite done it for me. I thought I was to something good all until I opened the can.... Then with the smell I thought I may have overdone it.

Oh well. We'll see. I'm interested in doing the same kit later in the week only with cascade hops to flavour and wouldn't mind steeping some grains(for the first time) as I'm told I'd get better head retention. Is that true? Is cascade the more normal way to go? Can you suggest any grains - if I haven't been mislead...

Cheers.

Brad

Cheers.

More
7 years 5 months ago #2237 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Coopers IPA - first crack at it
If you did the same thing with hops but using cascade and a pale ale tin, plus raise the steeping hops to 20g or something like that it will be closer to an ipa. Or if you use the ipa tin do the 5g for 15min and then 20g steep cascade will be ok too.

Good place to start as far as steeping grains is just about 200 to 300g of a medium crystal malt.

Something like this

You could add grains to this recipe

www.cellardweller.net/index.php/forum/au...-extract-concentrate

Or something like this

www.cellardweller.net/index.php/forum/in...act-specialty-grains

Just a note about steeping grain, most recipes like mine give a temperature, but it isnt really important as long as the water isnt boiling. And there isnt a need to keep it at a certain temp, so just heat water to nearly boiling leave it for a couple of mins and add the cracked grain and whack a lid on for 20-30mins. strain it. Then boil.

When adding hops to certain tins, most of the tins are bitter enough for the particular style, so when you're boiling hops to add flavour and a little bitterness you need to be careful you dont over bitter, this is why if I'm making a IPA and want to add my own flavours and hops I'll start with a pale ale tin and build it up. If I'm making an IPA from an IPA tin then its usually just a small hop steep if anything and then a good dry hop.

In the video in the link for the Gashsmith IPA upthere ^^^ I do steep, that same steep can be used in the other recipe. As mentioned before there isnt really any need to use a thermometer with the steep, I did it on the video, but its not needed at all.

Cheers!

• Bradscholes
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 4 months ago #2249 by Bradscholes
Replied by Bradscholes on topic Coopers IPA - first crack at it
Ok gash, so I've bottled the Pride of Ringwood IPA and am giving one of you suggestions a go.

Coopers IPA tin
BE2
LDM
200 g dextrose

5g cascade for 15m
20g cascade 1m
Steep for 3m

Coopers kit yeast but only because I'm not at all knowledgable with yeast.

I'll let it ferment for 2 weeks then bottle.

See how it goes.

Brad.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top