You are not logged in.

Smoked Coopers Irish Stout

• RAD
  • RAD's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 10 months ago #2422 by RAD
Smoked Coopers Irish Stout was created by RAD
I have been a big fan of Smoked Porters and Stouts for a long time so with that in mid and with winter fast approaching here in BrisVegas I decided to have a crack and see what I end up with.
Being an Extract brewer I have just used a Pre hopped Cooper Irish Stout can to see how it goes and then if it works out I will repeat the brew as a full extract with hop additions, so here's my recipe.

Brew Date 29/05/2017
1.7 kg Coopers Irish Stout
200g Beechwood Smoke Rauch
200g Chocolate Malt
200g Roasted Barley
1kg Stout booster from my local brew shop which looks to be 750g Dark Malt Extract and 250g Maltodextrin.
Safale US-05 and the Coopers Yeast from the kit.
Grain Steeped for 30min in 3litres of water @70C and then rinsed with 1litre of water @70c
I brought the Tea to the boil, dissolved the Stout Booster Boiled for 15 min.
Remove from heat at the end of 15min and added Coopers Irish Stout to Tea/wort to dissolve mix well and then added to fermenter that had 5l of water that was in the fridge over night topped up to 20litres with another 15litres of cold water.
Yeast pitched @ 20c
Brewing @ 18c

Cheers
Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #2423 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Smoked Coopers Irish Stout
Sounds interesting Rob, I havent used smoked beechwood malt before, let us know how it goes! Cheers mate!

• cliveinthemiddle
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 9 months ago #4705 by cliveinthemiddle
Replied by cliveinthemiddle on topic Smoked Coopers Irish Stout
Hi Gash,

Just searched this as I am looking to make a smoky porter using a can of extract and a partial grain mash. Have you ever made one, and what hops would you recommend? Would you put any hops in for the boil/whirlpool, and do you add any hops later in the process? I have never made a porter before and would appreciate picking your brain...cheers, Rob

More
3 years 9 months ago #4712 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Smoked Coopers Irish Stout
I have made a smokey porter, I ruined it, way to much smoked malt, think I used a kilo lol I think it depends on your beer, if youre making it really smokey I think you may need to be careful with hops, but if its just a touch of smoke its probably not so bad.. If you're going for an American Style then use the C hop, cascade, centennial, citra etc I like centennial in dark beers myself. More traditional I guess you'd probably go the norms, Fuggles, EK golding, something like that, I'm noyt hugely experienced with porters I tend to go to stouts, sorry about that, hope it helps, sorry for the delay, been off the computer most of the week, sick kids , give me the cold too , germ taxis they are lol Cheers!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top