Yeast Washing

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #180 by Gash
Yeast Washing was created by Gash
This is how I usually do it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tiny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 2 months ago #319 by tiny
Replied by tiny on topic Yeast Washing
Hey I have seen your vids and I must say that I'm impressed , I have also used the top cropping method and have found it to be time saving and just as cost efective . Cheers

More
5 years 11 months ago #3239 by davidevans
Replied by davidevans on topic Yeast Washing
G'day Gash,
Have been watching your videos & others on yeast washing in preparation for giving it a go.
Question: how much washed yeast should I be adding to a 21-22 ltr brew or is the quantity not that critical?
Most videos seem to indicate about half a jar but obviously jar sizes vary a lot.
Appreciate your help and keep up the good work.
David

p.s. Have made your NEIPA a couple of times now and absolutely love it! Best beer I've ever brewed.

More
5 years 11 months ago #3240 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Yeast Washing
A good dollop! Yep its hard to say, but chances of adding too much is extremely low, 1/4 to 1/2 cup is probably enough. There are yeast calculators that can give you an idea, but even then its just a rough guess. www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html and choose repitching from slurry. Cheers!

More
5 years 11 months ago #3241 by seabilly
Replied by seabilly on topic Yeast Washing
How long would that particular jug of yeast last if you didn't want to use it right away? Do you have to do anything to it to prolong it if you want to use a different type of yeast your next brew?

More
5 years 11 months ago #3242 by Gash
It comes down to cleanliness of course but up to a couple of months or more, just make sure you smell it etc and make sure its ok before you repitch! Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: seabilly

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #4066 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Yeast Washing
Just made my first yeast starter this afternoon and just checked it 4 hrs later and theres already a bit of action. Ive used a first batch of washed yeast us04 . Mixed 100g of LME(dry) and some nutrient boiled into 1 litre of water, then cooled it and added the yeast and poured it into a good sized vessel with air lock.

When I pitch it into my wort tomorrow, Should I pitch the whole lot in or just the yeast at the bottom of the starter.? My plan was to dump the whole lot in but not 100% sure. Cheers.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Finnroo. Reason: spelling

More
4 years 10 months ago #4067 by Gash
Yep the whole lot is fine mate. If you made a huge lager one 4L or something then you might ferment it for a few days, chill and pour off most of the wort. Cheers FinnRoo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Finnroo

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top