You are not logged in.

Double fermentation of beer

• shedbrewer
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #511 by shedbrewer
Double fermentation of beer was created by shedbrewer
Was watching one of Tiny's (OffTapBrewing) vids on the tube regarding a beer from India he stumbled on that had been double fermented. Thought I'd read a similar thing from a commercial brewer awhile back regarding the process, racked my head/the net and found it. Not a heck of a lot of information, but gives a little insight into the process used by Little Creatures here in Australia. Anyway, cheers guys.

From 2009 -

"We do ferment with an ale yeast and then filter bright and re-innoculate with a pilsner yeast (the same strain that we use in our Pilsner in fact).

There are a number of microbiological reasons for doing so - lager yeast is slightly more vigourous, will ferment a bit dryer, etc. We do only add JUST enough to do the job and post bottle conditioning we actually chill every batch to ensure tight compaction of the yeast. This is just our philosophy and there are plenty of other ways to do it.

And yes, our yeast is stored in Copenhagen and we propagate fresh conditioning yeast every week. (ale yeast about once every 4 weeks).

Anyway, there you go.... (and yes, I guess you could culture up the pils yeast from the bottle, but probably purchase some and you are guaranteed that the yeast is healthy).

Cheers,

Alex (aka LC Chief Brewer)"

Be interested to hear if anyone on Cellar Dwellars has done something similar, and how did it go?

Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #513 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Double fermentation of beer
I havent tried it, but have heard a few breweries do it for the bottle conditioning, and others do it a bit different when they are brewing beers with too high alcohol for most beer yeasts, in one go anyway... will be interesting if anyone has tried it

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #514 by Dullahan Brewing
Replied by Dullahan Brewing on topic Double fermentation of beer
I think with that Indian beer they were taking the piss,if you bottle you could say everybody double ferments technically since you are restarting fermentation in the bottle to carb your beer. A true double ferment IMHO would be fermenting a beer twice before it even reaches a keg or bottle. You might do this if you were producing a 20% high gravity beer.

I was actually talking with Tony Yates in Norway last night about this very thing and he had a link to where it had actually been done but the link was broken. Anyway he said that Dogfishhead brewery had done this i think on their 120 IPA ? :woohoo:

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #515 by Dullahan Brewing
Tony Yates(youtube) check him out gave me this link last night. Not the one he was looking for that was broken but he said a very similar process in this one.

www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/vi...llelujah-how-are-ya-

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #517 by Gash
Yep Brewdog have been doing it for years too, for their high alcohol beers, its the only way I assume.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #518 by Gash
but saying that, when you kill off one yeast and use another in the bottle like some breweries do hmmm tough call

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #519 by Gash
hmmmmm

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #521 by Dullahan Brewing
Nah gash m8 i think brewdog uses fractal distillation? "freeze distilling" if you like :lol: Watch a guy called secue 01 on youtube

There ya go. :woohoo:

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #523 by Gash
They do use freeze distillation but they also add yeast to some of the worts to get fermentation happening again, I can't remember which beer it was but I met one of the original Brewdog guys when he was here in Australia, a few years ago now, at an Ales Stars Meet the Brewer night and I remember him talking about it. You can see my ugly mug at the event here...

Brewdog Alestars

• shedbrewer
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #524 by shedbrewer
Replied by shedbrewer on topic Double fermentation of beer

I think with that Indian beer they were taking the piss,if you bottle you could say everybody double ferments technically since you are restarting fermentation in the bottle to carb your beer. A true double ferment IMHO would be fermenting a beer twice before it even reaches a keg or bottle. You might do this if you were producing a 20% high gravity beer.

I was actually talking with Tony Yates in Norway last night about this very thing and he had a link to where it had actually been done but the link was broken. Anyway he said that Dogfishhead brewery had done this i think on their 120 IPA ? :woohoo:

Absolutely mate Tiny was having a laugh with the Indian beer. Anyhoos, I think (in my imagination) that it's one thing to double ferment, and another to double with two separate yeast styles. And so, was wondering if anyone had experimented and documented their findings. I would like to try a Little Creatures ale that was bottled conditioned (as an ale) compared to the same thing that was bottled with a different yeast altogether (pils). So, if anyone out there can shed light on the potential bonus or .. myth, do tell. For mine (in my imagination again) I reckon the difference would be so slight only the highest of trained palates could tell apart (gimmick), then again, the difference could be massive.
Would be interested to find out if anyone has tried both, and what were their findings?
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by shedbrewer.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top