You are not logged in.

Priming Sugar calculator Vs. Available priming sug

• Erik_l
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 9 months ago #1761 by Erik_l
Hey, so I am three batches under my belt and now that Uni is over next week I am gearing for a 30lts red ale all grain

The last three batches I made have all turned out flat.

I use this calculator: www.homebrewdad.com/priming_sugar_calculator.php

If you pump in:

2.4 vol
24C
14LT

you get 81g of dextrose

My lhbs supplies bulk priming sugar, but it is maltosedextrose (from memory)

I added 80g to my porter, and it couldn't be more flat.

The bottles have been conditioning for over a month now, sitting in a cupboard around 20C on average.

Is it possibly the sugar I am using? According to the priming calculator, maltose needs to be higher than just dextrose, I don't know the % of the dextrose I am using.

I am going down to the brew shop on friday to place an order in, I will sus it out then

What are your takes on sugars?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #1762 by Gash
Maltodextrose isnt the right one, it doesnt ferment, its used to add body to beers because it doesnt ferment that would explain your flat beer. You can open them put some dextrose in and cap again. use the bottle size in the calc to find out how much you need. Good luck!
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Gash.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 9 months ago #1763 by Gash
Haven't done it for a while but will be close to a teaspoon for a long neck I think, don't quote me on that though.

More
8 years 9 months ago #1768 by xenon
Its probably to late to have a precise CO2 volume. I suppose you can weigh out table sugar or other for your bottle size (as gash has said), but maybe drops will be an easier consideration.

1x per 330ml (long neck)
2x per 750ml

not sure what co2 vol. that gives.

I personally use www.brewersfriend.com for my calcs. Havent read or seen any negative feedback about. I have always found it to be spot on and easy to use

good news is that you just have to prime and recap.

good luck

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #1769 by Dullahan Brewing
Replied by Dullahan Brewing on topic Priming Sugar calculator Vs. Available priming sug
Maltodextrin is non fermentable so that is why the flat beer m8 sorry,if they are selling that as priming sugar they are wrong.At this stage you have nothing to lose and precise carbing is out the window so here is what i would suggest.Uncap the bottles and get yousrself a funnel,pour a little bit out of each,just enough so you can bung in a teaspoon of table sugar and recap them quick as you can,sanitize bottle tops etc as you go with starsan or the like.

For a stout i would suggest 1/2 tsp table sugar per 330ml,1tsp per 500ml,1.5tsp per 750ml.Let them sit for a good while m8. :blink:
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Dullahan Brewing.

• Erik_l
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #1770 by Erik_l
Thanks guys!

First up, I was slightly wrong - It is Malt, Dextrine (or Dextrose?), not maltodextrine (I double checked at the brewshop) and it pretty much the same as this stuff: www.esbrewing.com.au/dextrose-bulk-priming180g.html

(same company, different trading names, they are partners if I remember correctly)

So the calculator says 81g, the packet I bought was 180g, half is 90g from 11lts, so in theory for my 14lts of porter I should of used probably 100-110g or so.

Here's a fun fact:

Big red ale brew day on monday (the 15th), and had some mates over to help me brew and mostly move the keg around with 35lts of beer in it, and we cracked open a few porters, well one of the porters I cracked open - lets just say I found the carbonation!!! This bottle exploded when I opened it!! Beer pissed out like a rocket.

It is quite possibly it's my mixing, I drain the beer into the bottling bucket that has the priming solution in it already, I coil the tube in, as the beer siphons in it mixes, obviously not enough.

I don't whisky it for fear of oxidation, but perhaps a little stir would help move the solution around, I don't know, perhaps it settled out and all went into one or two bottles.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Erik_l.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 9 months ago #1771 by Gash
That way of mixing should be fine, if the dextrose was mixed with a cup or so of water. Still not sure what Malt Dextrine is. Is it bright white? or cream coloured. Not sure why they'd use a mix of malt and dextrose if they do. If it is a mix of malt and dextrose then you may need a little more.

Sounds like you re doing everything right though.

Good luck!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top