You are not logged in.

New Robobrew owner

More
6 years 5 months ago #2776 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic New Robobrew owner
There is another thing that alot of people dont know and gash pointed to it saying about soap. When you take a glass out of the dish washer its all sparkling clean and clear right? Wrong. What happens is the dishwasher rince cycle is so bloody hot that it acually bakes the soap residue onto the glass. This toatally stuffs your head retention and it made me think when you said that it sort of starts of ok but then quickly disapates. That has dishwasher soap written all over it. Because of this I always wash my glasses by hand and rince in hot water and leave to drain. Awesome, out there brewing it. cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Brodiep
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago #2879 by Brodiep
Replied by Brodiep on topic New Robobrew owner (head retention)
Hi Gash and Finnroo, I just thought I might update you on the head retention issue that I spoke about above, I did a Pilsner and used 200 gms of Carapils and the head retention after being bottled for a month is reasonable but not good. I just bottled a new Pilsner yesterday and in that I used 500 gms of carapils and you could see not only some foam in the bottle as I was filling them but some good CO2 activity in the bottle once caped. I had a taste, as you do, and I was impressed, this Pilsner could be my best effort yet.

I am trying to get the alcohol content down a bit and will be doing a brew tomorrow which I expect will be about 4.5%, my main aim is to get the flavour I like but not too heavy, I like a good Pils.

Any way I will keep you posted.

Paul

More
6 years 4 months ago #2880 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic New Robobrew owner (head retention)
Awesome Paul, good to hear your getting a good result. Has the increase in carapils caused an increase in haze? I will be interested to hear. Great when we get good results.
Cheers.

• Brodiep
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago #2881 by Brodiep
Replied by Brodiep on topic New Robobrew owner (head retention)
Hi Finnroo, yes it was a little hazy but I only used a half a whirlfloc tab so maybe I need a full tab, but it has not been bottled for more than a day so the proof will be in about a month.

Paul

More
6 years 4 months ago #2884 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic New Robobrew owner (head retention)
Awesome mate, great stuff ,Im interested because I went down that track with Carapils and it did improve head but I found there was a trade off with clarity. Having said that there were always other things going on in the mix so I wasnt sure and thats why im interested to know. Please let me know your results, Im picking it should be great anyway. cheers, out there brewing it.

More
6 years 4 months ago #2885 by Dredd
Replied by Dredd on topic New Robobrew owner
Others have mentioned it. Carapils does generally produce beers with firmer and bigger heads. I've made a few with around 300-350g of Carapils and it makes a difference if that is what you are aiming for.

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #2886 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic New Robobrew owner
Hello Brodiep, I
ve been wondering about this head retention business and there must be something simple weve missed ( story of my life). It shouldnt be difficult to get good head retention and lacing down the glass with a simple brew.
A few years ago I made a hot box out of an old wardrobe I put a theremostate at the top and a light bulb at the top.
I remember now that I had heeps of trouble getting good head retention until the penny dropped and it was so obvious. I put a thermometre down at the bottom where I put my bottles to condition and it was only 9 degC. ( i had the thermostate at the top set for 20degC) So, I lifted my bottles up 400cm or so and ,Bobs your Ferkin .Problem solved. Is it possible your bottles arent getting a good consistant 18 to 22 degC for 2 weeks. Its just a thought. Cheers mate have a good one.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Finnroo.

• Brodiep
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago #2887 by Brodiep
Replied by Brodiep on topic New Robobrew owner
Hi dredd,
I understand what you are saying, the co2 content and absorption is dependent on temp and sugar content with the leftover yeast. I am from Queensland and the place I store my bottles is between 16 and 25, 16 in winter and 25 in summer. I am waiting for my last bottled brew to mature and I think it may be ok, the last Pilsner I did is fine for the first glass but the second doesn't seem to hold a head or have much activity, I might add that it is improving with age.

Thanks for the thoughts

Paul

More
6 years 4 months ago #2888 by Dredd
Replied by Dredd on topic New Robobrew owner
ahh - didn't pick up on bottling. I've been kegging for about the last 15 years, i'd expect a bit of variability since each bottle is a variable (Cleanliness, priming amounts etc will vary)

I'm thinking of making a Kolsch over the weekend and will definitely add some carapils. The last Pilsener I made was 100% Pilsener malt which tasted great, but had little to no head. I'll have watch this to see if the clarity is diminished.

• Brodiep
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago #2896 by Brodiep
Replied by Brodiep on topic New Robobrew owner
Hi all,
Further to our discussion on head retention and clarity. Up until now I have done 4 dark brews of the Porter style, not worried about clarity much. I did a Pilsner and did not use any Whirlfloc but I also used 250gms of Carapils malt to improve the head retention. The result was reasonable to drink but was cloudy at best.
The next Pilsner I did I used 500gms of Carapils but I also used a half a tab of Whirlfloc, I had a look at it today as it has been bottled for some 10 days and the beer in the bottle is as clear as.
This is the first time I have used Whirlfloc and the next brew I did I used it again, it is still in the fermenter, so I will see what it is like when I bottle.

Regards
Paul

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top