You are not logged in.

Extract Only Black IPA

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #928 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Extract Only Black IPA
Steep the grains in a good few litres, rinse, add the 1kg of liquid pale malt, top up water to 9 litres. Boil and follow the hop additions. cool a bit add to fermenter, stir in rest of the pale malt. Top up to 22 litres, ferment at about 19-20c. at about day 5ish add the dry hop.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #931 by Dullahan Brewing
Replied by Dullahan Brewing on topic Extract Only Black IPA
Ok couple of questions first, steep for how long and in what temp water? dry hop FOR 4 days or dry hop on day 4 for how long ? Cheers for that Gash looks like i have some shopping to do lol ;)

• Arrogantbastardale
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #932 by Arrogantbastardale
Replied by Arrogantbastardale on topic Extract Only Black IPA
I am with you Gash in that the best way to pull off a BIPA is with steeping grains. The "problem" with BIPA as that there are a lot of interpretations. This "problem" could be a good or a bad thing depending on how you look at it.

Essentially, it comes down to this: a lot of US west coasters consider BIPA to only have dehusked black Carafa III, and only just a little bit to turn the beer black. Also they don't add a lot of Crystal malt (maybe a little C10 or C15 for a touch of sweetness). They want as little roast character and malt sweetness as possible so that the hops shine through. I am in this camp. I consider a BIPA that has roasted barley, choc malts, etc. to be a hoppy porter. I also generally don't like the taste of them because the flavors are too opposed and complex. However, there are many brewers both pro and home who don't agree with this approach and throw in the kitchen sink.

If you don't need the "only Carafa III and little crystal malt" requirement, you can probably just use all extract. You could try using half a can of dark extract along with your regular base extract. You definitely will want to boil hops though since most hopped extract kits don't have enough hop flavor. Use lots of late hop additions!

If you want to try to brew the stricter version (and IMO the better version) of a BIPA, you could use the lightest extract that you can find, and then steep a small amount of C10, Carafa III, and maybe some carapils or something. Again, late hop additions are key.

Here is a good video that comes at the BIPA debate from the Carafa III only angle:

Just my 2 cents, cheers!

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #933 by Gash
I totally agree Dan, was originally going to use maltoferm dark, which I couldnt get, then Sinamar because they add the dark without the roast. In the end I said stuff it I'm using grain, I couldnt get a dark rye I wanted so went with the grains above (although mine was all grain but the speciality grains were the same as above). The hop additions were slightly different due to the boil size. And since brewing my first, and not for competition, even though depending who you speak to I'm not even sure the beer has been 100% defined.. Anyway long story short it turned out bloody nice, really good. And will be brewing again for sure!

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #934 by Gash
Some diehard brewers I have spoken to refuse to admit BIPA/DIPA even exist lol

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #936 by Gash
Heres a link to my AG version.

Black METAL IPA

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #937 by Gash
I just remembered I changed the steeping grains for Gregs extract version to make some of the dark grains UK instead of US or Aussie to make it easier for him.

And Greg things can be changed again if you have troubles getting certain things.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Gash.

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #949 by Dullahan Brewing
Ok i found one shop that has all i need so here is what i can get and prices in Euro just for anybody thatw ants a reference for comparison:

1) Dark Crystal 500gr 200EBC €1.45

2) Carafa Special 3 De-Husked 500gr 1200EBC €1.70

3) Chocolate Malt 500gr 1060EBC €1.25

4) Roasted Barley 500gr 1300EBC €1.25

5) Columbus Pellets 2012 100gr 15.9% AA €4.57

6) Centennial Pellets 2012 100gr 10.3% AA €4.01

7) Cascade Pellets 2012 100gr 5.8% AA € N/A

I have the cascade 5.8%AA and i also have Herkules 15% AA.

www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #960 by Gash
Heres one I just mucked around with in Beersmith Greg, numbers are nearly exactly the same as my AG version, although I have never brewed this. I may brew it soon just to try it.

File Attachment:

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #961 by Dullahan Brewing
I have Beersmith 2 i really need to learn how to use it :blush:
Ok beersmith 2 installed on laptop now as well as desktop, now for some tutorial videos B)

Can't find that coopers dark ale on beersmith ingredients list anywhere m8 :whistle:
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Dullahan Brewing.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top