You are not logged in.

Elements

• saw468
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 10 months ago #2098 by saw468
Elements was created by saw468
Hi, I've just bought two kegs to start my brewery and I'm wondering which are t he best electric elements for HLT and brew kettle, thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #2099 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Elements
ok.. HLT is fairly simple just a 2000-3000 w element will do. Brew kettle is a little different because it needs a touch more power to boil, depending on the amount you want to boil, this also depends on what household power you have access too. The sorts of elements can vary greatly too, depending on what you can afford. You can start as low priced as household jug/kettle elements at $10, hotwater heater type elements $20-$100 and then purpose built elements like Blichmann build which are expensive too of course. So you have to work out how much wort you want to boil for your batch size, which is usually a gallon or 5L more then finished batch size. Then you can use calculators to try and figure what your best wattage would be and how much you want to spend. Cheers!

• saw468
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 10 months ago #2100 by saw468
Replied by saw468 on topic Elements
Thanks Gash, I'm only new to brewing so not doing anything massive at the moment I'm still bottling, just 20l or so. I've seen your setup on YouTube with the two Jug elements in your brew kettle, would you change them if you had your time again? I put one in a 19l pot just to give it a go and made a real ass of it, it works but lots of silicone washers stopping the leaks. I like the cost effectiveness of them at $10 a shot but you had to turn down the power on one as I remember.

More
7 years 9 months ago #2119 by ASW
Replied by ASW on topic Elements
hey fellas i just finished making a brew kettle out of a keg using the kmart elements like in Gash's youtube vids, came out a treat thanks Gash. I had an old computer power cord on my work bench at the time and noticed that the three prongs on the element might fit straight into the power cord, which it did perfectly. I've tried to attach a pic
I also trimmed off the long plastic bit to make it a perfect circle, and bought a couple of 40mm to 25mm rubber plumbing adapters that fit over the outside part on the element to keep it dry in case of a boil over.
If anyone's interested in some pics just give us a yell.
I tried it all out and it works well, it took 40 min to heat 13c tap water up to 85, had to stop there as it was time to feed the kid but i reckon it would take about an hour to get to the boil
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gash

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top