You are not logged in.

First brew with fermentasaurus....wisdom please!!

• ajburnet
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago #2550 by ajburnet
Hi folks,

My first brew (all grain) with my fermentasaurus under pressure is, I think, almost ready. I'm new to this and have a few questions that hope you seasoned brewers can help with!!?

The OG was spot on to my recipe (Brewdog Punk IPA) at 1.055 with a 24L batch. The recipe called for a typical 14 day fermentation although I just checked the SG at day 10 which is at 1.010, a few points of the target which was 1.012. I guess things happen a little faster under pressure.

What would cause it to be a few points off, and I does it matter, just a little stronger right?

Also, it doesn't seem to be carbonated yet - I have a relief valve on it set and keeping it to 11-12psi. Do I need to keep it under pressure longer, i.e. condition in the fermentasaurus under pressure? How long typically would that be?

Otherwise, I guess I'll have to force carbonate in my keg and carbonate in bottles (I was planning on kegging some and bottling the rest using the bottling gun I grabbed).

Any thoughts greatly received!

Thanks!

Alex.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #2551 by Gash
Gday mate, yep it'll be just a touch stronger, maybe mash temp was slightly lower, could be a few things, brewing is a very organic process things can be a point or two off and you'll never really know why. It's strange that its at 12psi and not carbonated, my feeling would be that if you chill and keep the pressure up it will be fine, you'll need to hook up the CO2 bottle, but it should be fine in a day or two. Warm beer holds less CO2. If it is already cold just hook the gas up and again I think it'll be fine very quickly. Cheers!

• ajburnet
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago #2552 by ajburnet
Cheers for advice!

Slightly stronger I can live with, still tastes good and it's flat so, hey, will be very drinkable when conditioned and carbonated properly!

Still have it at fermentation temps as I could see some activity in the yeast / trub bottle but will dial it down (don't have a fridge but its damn cold everywhere so that will work!). What's the temp to crash it? Just turn off the heat belt and leave at ambient or still it in the cold garage!?

Also - is it best to hook up the CO2 via the drop tube in the fermentasaurus so it bubbles through or via the other post?

And final question - should I still leave it to condition for 30 days if it's under pressure - assume its gravity doing some of the work so the same time?

Thank for the help with all my questions - appreciate it!

A.

More
6 years 8 months ago #2553 by Gash
Turn off the belt and leave it, 2c is great for crashing but if you cant do that just leave it. Hook the gas up to the gas post, its likely to get stuck on the beer post as they are usually different sizes slightly. Conditioning is totally up to you IPA and Pales are ready to drink immediately, you can wait till it clears if you like, I like my IPAs fresh, fresher the better. Ask as many questions as you like mate! Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: ajburnet

• ajburnet
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago #2554 by ajburnet
Fantastic, thanks!

I've moved it to my cold garage and attached the gas at 12psi / 86Kpa. It's pretty much at that pressure on its own but hopefully, that will make sure it's properly carbonated.

How long would you leave it to make sure it's carbonated normally, 7 days or less? Will probably bottle some next weekend and store the rest in a keg I reckon.

It's pretty clear actually as it is - will have a glass tonight! :)

Lovin' it - cheers!

More
6 years 8 months ago #2555 by Gash
Normally at around fridge temps 4c a normal keg be carbed in about 2 weeks. That brew you have should be nearly carbed, it should only take a day or two, the only thing that is going be the problem is the temperature, the colder it is the easier it absorbs CO2 so I cant say how long its going to take, its all very temperature dependant and without knowing what temp its really going to be its very hard to suggest pressures and times etc.

• ajburnet
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago #2556 by ajburnet
Ah, okay, makes sense.

Near D'ford, so its damn cold! I reckon 2c overnight and no more than 9c during the day if its like today!

The beauty of the fermentasaurus is I can suck it and see! Am holding out for the cold / warm 'kegerator' thats coming later in the year for the thing. Will be pretty neat.

Cheers!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top