You are not logged in.

Green on the Amber

• DaveyM
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 9 months ago #2135 by DaveyM
Green on the Amber was created by DaveyM
Gday folks, I've just recently started brewing, and I guess like most greenhorns start with extract brews. I've only used Coopers extract cans And only pale ale for my base , as my brews have been ale recipes!my question is,can you use anyone of the coopers range of canned concentrates as a base for any style of beer?eg.lager can for an IPA recipe.any info on experimental extract brewing do's and don'ts would be much appreciated!
Cheers Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #2136 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Green on the Amber
I think the coopers pale ale is the best for experimenting with IPAs and Pale Ales, its one of the lowest bitterness so you can add more hops without worrying about getting too bitter. The Lager and Draught styles arent too far behind, but I think the Pale ale is the best for it. Most of the others the bigger ones like the IPA and English Bitter etc are fairly bitter to start with so just dry hopping is enough for these ones, but you can get a lot of different flavours from dry hopping. The mexican can is low bitterness too but again I prefer the pale ale.

Basically thats my advice for them, dont do too much, because most of the kits are big enough flavours in themselves, you add some small grain steeps to any of them without a worry, just to add some more flavour and head retention etc and any of them will benefit from a small to large dry hop depending on style.

Dont do two can mixes with the basic cans they usually are too much, except for the dark styles, a can of dark ale and stout mixed together is pretty good!

If you really want to experiment then maybe move to the unhopped cans of malt extract coopers sell, or there are other brands in Home Brew Shops, then you can do a long boil and totally make the beer to your liking, with whatever hops you want.

Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaveyM

• DaveyM
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 9 months ago #2137 by DaveyM
Replied by DaveyM on topic Green on the Amber
Thanx for the quick reply and advice mate much appreciated!
Dave

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top