You are not logged in.

Evil Pumpkin Imperial Porter (2008 Recipe)

• heavyriffbeer
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #225 by heavyriffbeer
Evil Pumpkin Imperial Porter (2008 Recipe) was created by heavyriffbeer
So I promised I would post up one of the recipes for Evil Pumpkin Imperial Porter. I change this recipe every single year but this was one of my favorite of the iterations. NOTE: If you cant find one of the ingredients at your local shop, my suggestion is to be creative and make the substitution on your own or with a little help from someone at the shop. Making this beer your own is half the fun of brewing it.

6.0 Gallon Batch
1.082 Original Gravity
1.014 Terminal Gravity
46 IBU's
31.5 SRM
75% Brewhouse Efficiency
8.9-9.2% ABV

13.5 Lbs 2 Row Malt (I used American 2 Row, but any will do)
3.0 Lbs Munich Malt (Light or Dark Munich)
1.0 Lbs Crystal/Caramel 80
1.0 Lbs Weyermann Carafa II (a 350-400 lovibond chocolate malt will get you the color but Carafa is dehusked and removes a lot of the harsher roasty character)
.5 Lbs British Black Patent Malt
1.0 Lbs Rice Hulls
5 (15 oz cans) unspiced pumpkin pie filling (added to the mash for the entire mash)

1.5 Oz Northern Brewer Hops (8.0 AA) boiled for 60 Minutes
1.0 Oz Kent Goldings Hops (5.0 AA) boiled for 20 Minutes

2 Rehyrdated Packs of Danstar Nottingham yeast after boil and cooldown

Mash at 152 Degrees with a 1.5 quarts per lb water to grist ratio.

Sparge as your system allows to collect 7.0 gallons preboil. Get boiling and start adding the hops. Cool it down and....

Ferment for 2 weeks at 65-70 Degrees Farenheit, transfer to a secondary for clearing. Add in 1 ounce high quality vanilla extract and 2 teaspoons of a premade pumpkin pie spice blend (I personally like the Spice Island brand, but whatever you use that makes a good pie) and let the beer sit for 2 weeks. Rack the beer to a keg or if bottling use .75 oz of corn sugar per finished gallon of beer boiled in 1 cup of water and added to the bucket. Let the beer age for a minimum of 2 weeks, but 3-4 will be even better. If you are really sanitary this beer will age wonderfully for a few years.

Cheers And Beers!
Jerid (AKA Heavy Riff Beer)
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by heavyriffbeer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top