Scaling recipe down for cubing

• drewtech
  • drewtech's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 9 months ago #4046 by drewtech
Scaling recipe down for cubing was created by drewtech
Hi dwellers,

First post here so hi to everyone.
I just got my hands on a Brewzilla 3.1 (30L), and have done my first brew - Gash's Zombie Lust IPA, thanks Gash! That went OK, came in a few points under, and is now fermenting away.

Before getting the Brewzilla, I was fermenting Grain and Grape Fresh Wort kits, and have a shitload of 16.8L cubes in my shed. So I was considering putting in another all grain on the weekend, an Oatmeal Stout, which leads me to my question(s):

1. I would like to hot cube this stout into one of the cubes I have, but all recipes are 20 -23 odd litres. Will there be any issue with me scaling the recipe in Beersmith back to 17 litres?

2. Most stout recipes I've been looking at are a single 60 min hop addition. Do I need to adjust that at all?

3. Finally, if anyone has a link to an awesome milk or oatmeal stout for me to have a crack at I would be grateful.

Cheers,

Drew.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #4047 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Scaling recipe down for cubing
Ok.. you can use a program like beersmith to help with this, but essentially since you're brewing mainly stouts you could probably run with the 20-23 litre recipe and just don't sparge as much, you will lose a bit of efficiency but not that big of a deal.
60min add, doesnt really make much difference, no chill really effects the the late hop adds, the difference between a 40min boil and a 60min boil is about 1 point of IBU, no one can taste that difference, and the fact your wort will be of a higher gravity in the boil hop utilisation of bitterness will be a touch less, if anything you may need to add a touch more, but again I dont think you'll notice.
I'll try and do the math for you later and see how I go. be back with some recipes too, Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewtech

• drewtech
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #4048 by drewtech
Replied by drewtech on topic Scaling recipe down for cubing
Thanks Gash,

I was thinking of cubing some of the non hop forward beers I like. Stouts being 1 and English ales another. When I wanna make American PA/IPA, will chill and ferment on brew day. You said that if there was a late hop addition that I would need to account for cubing, as I understand besides the 60 min addition, I just need to add hops 10 minutes later than the recipe specifies? So a 10min addition would need to be added to the cube?

Appreciate your comment, and looking forward to any suggestions you may have. I have beersmith, but still learning how to use it properly.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by drewtech.

More
4 years 9 months ago #4051 by Gash
Do you use beersmith?

More
4 years 9 months ago #4052 by Gash
Well most people say you need to move the hops by 20min, which totally destroys all flavour hop, because they come between 0-20mins. Personally I dont like adding hops to the cube, the end up in the fermenter and by the time you dry hop you have a huge amount of hop in the fermenter. I just do a big steep at the end of boil 40-120g depending, for maybe 10-20mins, some will call it a whirlpool, then drain off to cube. Or I just throw them in for the last 1-3 mins of the boil, turn off boil, give it 5mins or so to settle then fill the cube. Plus a big dry hop and you'll get all the flavour and aroma you want, without the hop matter in the cube/fermenter, well less at least.

More
4 years 9 months ago #4053 by Gash
Like this

More
4 years 9 months ago #4054 by Gash
and this one

• drewtech
More
4 years 9 months ago #4055 by drewtech
OK awesome. Thanks for your suggestions Gash!
It seems with no chill there is a bit of trial and error. I'll take your suggestions on board and see what works for me. Will check out those vids when I get home tonight. Cheers, Drew.

More
4 years 9 months ago #4056 by Gash
These will make more sense if you can download them into beersmith
Theres a regular 20L batch of oatmeal stout
beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/2539377/oatmeal-stout-1
Theres the same recipe but only made to 16L with 4L added in the fermenter
beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/2539376/...tout-2-16l-4l-top-up
You'll notice the ibus are a bit lower, only 2, which is nothing really.
So heres that recipe with upped hops by 3g and that brings the ibus to level with the first recipe.
beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/2539378/...tout-3-16l-4l-top-up

The reason the ibu goes down in the second is that the wort you are boiling is of higher gravity, so when you add the 4L it matches the first recipe, when hops are boiled in higher gravities the hop utilisation lowers a touch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewtech

• drewtech
More
4 years 9 months ago #4058 by drewtech
Thanks heaps for taking the time to do this mate! You've really gone out of your way. I'll order the grains tonight and brew it up over the weekend. Might go for Oatmeal stout 3 I think. Will let you know how it goes!

Cheers and very much appreciated!

Drew.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top