You are not logged in.

First All Grain Brew

More
3 years 9 months ago #4756 by Gash
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carrobrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #4760 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic First All Grain Brew
Heres a simplified version of the original Sierra Nevada Pale Ale I added a dry hop, changed the bittering hop and used easy to get malts in Australia, it will at least will give you an idea at what to look for Cheers!
share.brewfather.app/aUQOXB6MMBGiit
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Gash.

More
3 years 9 months ago #4761 by Gash
And the one from BYO magazine needed adjusting for the brewzilla, so I fixed it up, I did again drop the boil time to 60mins
share.brewfather.app/K98obP20hdpPxJ
Cheers!

• Carrobrew
  • Carrobrew's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #4762 by Carrobrew
Replied by Carrobrew on topic First All Grain Brew
These look good. I think will be the first brew! Cheers mate. I don’t have a Ph meter but have my water profile from local water added. Worth making the water adjustments if I can?

Thinking of heating up the total volume with sparge water in the zilla and then transferring the extra to a esky or something.

Or should I just heat it on the stove top?
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Carrobrew.

More
3 years 9 months ago #4763 by Gash
Yes if youve got your water profile, epsom salt, calcium chloride and calcium sulfate
I'd use the Pale Ale profile, but personally I drop the S04 down from 300 to about 100 or 150, i find at 300 it brings out the bitterness a bit too much sometimes, again personal taste. Cheers!

• Carrobrew
More
3 years 8 months ago #4852 by Carrobrew
Hey Gash and everyone,

Did my first AG brew on Saturday. Went well! Brewed the recipe Gash edited higher in thread.Was almost a full day (6-7 hrs) but I was in no way rushing and just taking it easy, had the daughter (2.5yrs) helping so made it slower.

Definitely think I could get it dialed in closer to 4 or less hours.Was about 4 points under pre boil on the refrac from a few readings so I added about 170g sugar (all I had left) but then my hydro reading was about 3-4 points high into the fermenter so I think my refrac was out even though I calibrated twice ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Had some issues holding mash temp (went below 66 to 64 from display temp on unit then up to 70 after I put it up to 67 and mucked around with the burners) but the temp coming out of the pump was closer to 65/66. I put this down to maybe some gunk getting on the temp probe? I'm not too worried, got decent conversion (I think) from tasting spent grain and numbers were good.

Had a lot of chit and hop gunk under the bottom screen which felt like it lifted a little during the mash/boil. Think I mashed in a bit rough. It kinda seems like false bottom sits on top of the locking nut for the tap, like it could be a touch lower but not a massive issue, less stirring/whirlpooling next time I think. Maybe could use a grain bag for hop additions.

Included immersion chiller worked ok. Would be a good upgrade, temp probe on unit was reading 74 but internal with handheld was about 34 (hot gunk on internal probe) then couldn't be bothered waiting (getting dark) so got in fermenter fridge to cool it the rest of the way before pitching so I could clean brewzilla.

I assumed there was gunk on top of the probe and pump inlet (mine in in the center of bottom) so I emptied out of the tap (afterwards I checked and there was heaps so good choice/saved pump blockage) and left the fermenter tap open so lost a bit onto the floor :| but still ended up with 23L into fermenter (tipped unit up a bit) and looked clear as coming out of brewzilla unit. (whirlfloc did its job well)

Pitched at 23 at midnight but fermenter got down to 19 in a couple of hours after and has been stable since.

Wanted to say thanks for all the advice and the vids helped heaps, felt like I knew what to expect and do if something went wrong. Very relaxing brew day all in all.

Also have you ever had issues with the screens lifting? What about temp variance on the controller, I was brewing outside so maybe this affected it? See some pics below of day and set up. Sorry for the novel lol.

More
3 years 8 months ago #4853 by Gash
I haven’t had issues with the screen lifting, only if trying to whirlpool too vigorously. When mashing only use the 500w element, this helps stop temp swings, chilling is a different thing because the elements stay hot for ages, so it will normally read higher then the wort actually is when you’re getting down to pitch temp, mine will hang around at 30ish forever.
All in all sounds like it went pretty good mate!

• Carrobrew
More
3 years 8 months ago #4854 by Carrobrew
I think maybe the whirlpooling too vigorously might have done it. Yeah I was only using the 500w but she dropped down to 64 and 63 at one point so put both on for a
sec and then was up to 70. :S I think next time I'll just leave it. Is the temp probe inside accurate when mashing? Yeah mate no disasters (except for the wort on the floor but didn't lose much)

Inkbird is at a steady 19.1 and the airlock is happily bubbling away. Getting really thirsty. Gotta brew more now to build up some stocks.

• Carrobrew
More
3 years 8 months ago #4855 by Carrobrew
I don’t know how I forgot this but when I was lifting the grain basket the lifting handle came out a couple of times and the basket dropped down.

That probably contributed to the chit and gunk in the kettle. It’s like the malt pipe expanded under heat and I probably wasn’t careful enough with lifting. Screen probably let some gunk in and also made the sparge a bit quick.

Anyways thanks again all.

More
3 years 8 months ago #4856 by Gash
Hmm that’s weird about the handle, never had that happen.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top