You are not logged in.

Fining with Gelatine

• Carrobrew
  • Carrobrew's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 3 months ago #5164 by Carrobrew
Fining with Gelatine was created by Carrobrew
Hey all,

Wondering if anyone regularly uses Gelatine for fining?

I am thinking about it for my next brew. My only worry is that I am bottling and am worried the gelatine will drop too much yeast out of suspension and I will have trouble bottle carbing.

Has anyone successfully used this method?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #5165 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Fining with Gelatine
Happy New year Carrowbrew. I always keg with Gelatin and it works really well, but that a very good question about dropping the yeast. I don't think Gelatin affects the yeast. It more has a positive charge and clings to negatively charged proteins in suspension that go on to cause chill haze. It should work fine and worth a crack.
I just mix 1 teaspoon of non flavored gelatin to a small sanitized plastic cup of boiling water. Stir for 1 minute and tip it in. If you use a bottling bucket add it in there when you add your priming sugar. Or you could add it to your fermenter a day before you bottle or when you cold crash. You might have to try and see what works best for you but well worth the effort. Cheers

More
3 years 3 months ago #5168 by ozdevil1
Replied by ozdevil1 on topic Fining with Gelatine
my thoughts are this and happt to be told different

if the beer your after has a calling to be hazy and not such a clear beer there is no real point to using geletin

but i feel if ya looking at specific beer that you want a clear beer then using gelatin like the finnroo states will help drop that chil haze out of it

• Carrobrew
  • Carrobrew's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 3 months ago #5169 by Carrobrew
Replied by Carrobrew on topic Fining with Gelatine
Happy new year finroo! Cheers mate. Do you wait for it to cool down or just add it in hot?

Yeah ozdevil I would agree. It’s a red ipa. Red and hazy don’t usually mix that well I wouldn’t think which is why I’m thinking of gelatine

More
3 years 3 months ago #5170 by Finnroo
Yes, so I just use a plastic sanitized cup, Boil the jug a couple of times ( maybe use some fresh water) Pour the boiling water into the cup, then with a sanitized teaspoon add a teaspoon of plain unflavored Gelatin and stir for a good minute and then yeah just tip it in hot. (its a small cup ) Good luck, cheers.

More
2 years 9 months ago #5370 by Drasjic
Replied by Drasjic on topic Fining with Gelatine
I don't have a way to cold crash at the moment, so are you able to add it to the bottom of a keg, fill the keg then chuck it in the fridge???  Will that work or am i better of adding it to the fermenter??  Cheers

More
2 years 9 months ago #5372 by Finnroo
Yes so, your on the right track here. So transfer your beer to your keg, then tip in your Gelatin on top.( as above mixture) Pressurize and burp your keg and leave for about 4 days (if you can) The gelatin will do its job. The first couple of pint may be cloudy but should be good after that. Cheers, hope that helps mate. Cheers

More
2 years 9 months ago #5375 by Drasjic
Replied by Drasjic on topic Fining with Gelatine
Cheers, will give that a go with my next keg

More
2 years 9 months ago #5376 by Finnroo
Top Man ,cheers mate.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top