You are not logged in.

any ideas for a JS 150 lashes style recipe?

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #613 by Gash
I havent brewed this one but have brewed many pale ales similar.. This is the info from the JS site.

Well Lashes is a refreshing cloudy pale ale with restrained bitterness and a clean, smooth finish. We’ve used malted wheat as well as pale barley malt to add balance to the finish, while the late addition of Nelson Sauvin & Amarillo and also some Australian grown Willamette hops deliver a subdued fruity nose with hints of passionfruit, grapefruit and citrus. While modelled along the guidelines of the Australian Pale ale style in both appearance & degree of hoppiness, in true James Squire fashion we could not resist adding our own little twist. Lashes Pale is aimed at 4.2% alcohol, technically aligning it more toward the English Bitter Ale style. The result is a well balanced pale with a foot in both the English & Australian camps - A bit like James Squire the man!

and this also.

So I'd probably start with a Coopers Pale Ale can + BE2, some wheat malt and some light crystal. a ten minute boil of 5gm of each of the hops mentioned Nelson Sauvin, Amarillo and Willamette. a 1 minute boil of the same. and a dry hop 5th day of the same.

or Coopers Pale Ale + Coopers Liquid wheat malt + 200g LDME and the same hops as above.

Do you buy your ingredients from a supermarket or a home brew shop? Do you steep grains?
Let me know a little more on your experience and what access you have to supplies and I'll come up with a recipe for you to try.

On your request an Australian Pale Ale category will be added :D

Cheerz!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Johnson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #614 by Johnson
Replied by Johnson on topic any ideas for a JS 150 lashes style recipe?
wow that was quick i see there is already an aussi pale ale folder :cheer:
I pretty much started brewing at the start of the year and have been loving it! i have done 11 brews so far all kits at this stage with added hops and i have steeped crystal malt and caramunich so far but no mashing. I'm pretty keen to learn as much as i can and have tried something new with every brew so far so I'm not afraid to try something if you think it will make better beer. I was actually hoping to try an all extract brew soon so if you have a recipe I'm keen to try it.

as for ingredients i have a brewers choice just down the road and they seem have pretty much everything i would ever need.

thanks in advance
Mick

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #615 by Gash
Cool no worries, I'll come up with something , probably tomorrow unless I get the time tonight
Cheers

• Pebbbles
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #616 by Pebbbles
Replied by Pebbbles on topic any ideas for a JS 150 lashes style recipe?
Ask for a folder n you shall receive :)

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #620 by Gash
G'day Mick, well I've come up with a recipe. I checked brewers choice website and adjusted to use the packs of ingredients they sell, the coopers kit could be replaced with another Pale Ale tin if need be, they also sell the wheat malt in the 1kg tubs 'Liquid Wheat Malt 1Kg' and they sell the crystal malt in the 200g packs called 'Grain Kit - Pale Ale/Bitter'. The three different hops will add to the price but you'll get a few brews out of each. If they dont have them hops in stock we can use others, but they are the ones mentioned on the James Squire Website.

James Squire 150 Lashes

• Johnson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #622 by Johnson
Thanks gash I will try and put it on on the weekend and I will report back how it turns out. :cheer:

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #625 by Gash
Please do mate! Cheerz

• Johnson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #632 by Johnson
I went to grab my ingredients this arvo and was told they have no Amarillo and was recommended motueka as a substitute will this be alright ?

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #633 by Gash
I have never used it myself, but it is supposed to be a very nice hop apparently. Centennial or Cascade are good for a Amarillo substitute too. Its really up to you.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Gash.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top