You are not logged in.

LITTLE CREATURES PALE ALE CLONE #1 - ALL GRAIN

More
8 years 5 months ago #1839 by Wotto
Have you mashed this recipe?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago #1840 by Gash
Yep, was a while ago now, but if you read through the comments there has been a few different versions done! Cheers!

More
7 years 3 months ago #2259 by Tonyj
Hey Gash,
would i need to do anything different for the robo brew or would it be fine to follow your water calculations ie, 20+3.5+3.5+5 for this recipe.

More
7 years 3 months ago #2260 by Gash
Sorry mate, been really crook, that'll probably be fine, do the mash with 18-20 litres, then sparge till you get close to the 29L mark (max line) and that should be ok, probably won't match exactly with the numbers as I havent tried this recipe in the robobrew yet. Cheers mate!

More
2 years 7 months ago #5395 by BeerRay1986
Replied by BeerRay1986 on topic LITTLE CREATURES PALE ALE CLONE #1 - ALL GRAIN
Gday

I have just got all my grain to do this one but I’m a bit worried about my efficiency. I recently did a mild and went way over was meant to be a 3.5% ended up over 4%. After much chatter though I think my grain crush was just way to fine which is what’s caused it. My currently Brewfather profile and recipe says this Will hit around 5.4% but I also will bottle it. If I get a 23 litre batch out of it would there be any harm in sticking a bit of boiled water in the fermenter to bring it up to 25 litres just to bring that abv down a bit?
Cheers

More
2 years 7 months ago #5396 by Gash
Where was the mild recipe from? Most books, magazines and official brewing sites will assume a fairly low efficiency most 65% where you usually get 5% or 10% more than that.
You can water down in the kettle (boil pot) or yes you can water down in the fermenter. And you're right to either preboil or treat the water you add. If adding to boil pot not so important because it gets boiled.
Watering down at preboil is good, it'll make hop utilisation and everything more accurate. Sometimes people dont have the space to water down but this is a method used by many pros, just because its easier to water down and hit your numbers, so they brew at a bit higher strength rather than being under numbers and having to adjust.
As I said though thats hard if you're pushing your limits in the boil kettle like I do, but you can add water say half way through the boil, top up with a litre or two, that way the water gets a good boil and you're closer to your numbers. You may have to extend your boil by 5 or 10 mins to make up for it, unless you're adding boiling water, the boil will slow down for a few minutes at least normally.
Or yep you can add to the fermenter, but a preboil of the liquid would be a good idea, or at least water that is from your hlt if you have one and have water left over, just gotta get rid of that chlorine as much as possible.
There are many calculators online or in every brewing program for adjusting this and will give you a good idea on how much you have to add.
Let me know if you need more info.. Cheers!

More
2 years 7 months ago #5397 by Gash
The other thing to do is enter your last recipe in a program if you havent already.. Adjust the eff% until the readings match what you actually got.
Then enter these ingredients and see how it sits, might give you an idea. Cheers!

More
2 years 7 months ago #5398 by BeerRay1986
Replied by BeerRay1986 on topic LITTLE CREATURES PALE ALE CLONE #1 - ALL GRAIN
Gday mate

Originally I got a this mild kit as a gift it was from an online store around Geelong they’re all over eBay but I don’t know what they’re called but it’s only been the last few brews which is weird, got my water right now thanks to you mate which is greatly appreciated and I’m getting closer to the ph I’m actually aiming for since getting the rest right I still struggle a bit with the BF software water adjustments I don’t find them as actuate as BS, probably more me learning to use it though. It is possible I suppose my mash ph is a lot better then prior and that’s why I’m getting outrageous efficiency (which I am slowly brew but brew adjusting in my brewzilla profile. I might see how this one turns out and water down sort of like the G&G fresh wort kits. It’s all trail and error at the end of the day I suppose that’s brewing lol.

Cheers mate your input is always good
Ray

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top