You are not logged in.

4l Mini Keg System - 16g c02 force carbing + other questions?

• BrewN00b
  • BrewN00b's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #5577 by BrewN00b
Hey folks, I've been homebrewing for about a year now, and have moved to all grain for my last 6 brews. So far I have absolutely zero experience with kegging and have been bottle carbing and conditioning up until now. 

As a christmas present my wife got me a 4l Mini Keg System from Keg King - here is the exact system I have now: www.keg-king.com.au/4-litre-mini-keg-ss-fc-kit-llp-coupler.html

As I'm a total new comer to keggin I've tried to read as much as I can however almost everything is pretty specific to 19L corny kegs and full sized c02 bottles etc so I'm hoping I can ask some questions here that you folks may be able to assist me with.....I have tried to find the answers on this and other forums but nothing specifically seems to answer my questions so here I go: 

- Can I force carbonate my 4L keg via the set and forget method without chewing through thousands of 16g bulbs? If so does anyone have experience on how many this may take? 

- When force carbonating my understanding is that I can place the keg into the fridge, set the PSI to serving pressure, and leave it for a certain amount of time (some have suggested 3-4 days would be enough for a 4l Keg)......how can I tell if the 16g bulb has run out during this time (would the pressure on the regulator just drop to 0)? 

- Once the keg has been forced carbed, can I simply remove the c02 via the quick disconnect and leave the keg in the fridge until I want to serve (by putting in a new bulb and setting to serving pressure again)? I assume for most systems the process would be to turn on the gas to serving pressure as your serving, but after you've finished a session you'd turn the gas off? 

- A suggestion I have noticed is to replace the 16g c02 bulbs with a sodastream cannister using a converter - does anyone have any ideas on how/what parts I would need for this given the 4l mini keg system I've linked above? 

sorry for all the (probably stupid) questions, but I have a real gap in my knowledge when it comes to kegging, gassing etc so if these questions are answered somewhere else or if anyone has a suggestion on where I can go to better learn some of this stuff please sing out, happy to go read up/watch anything that may give some more detailed info ;) 

Thanks in advance folks ;) 
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by BrewN00b.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #5582 by ozdevil1

Hey folks, I've been homebrewing for about a year now, and have moved to all grain for my last 6 brews. So far I have absolutely zero experience with kegging and have been bottle carbing and conditioning up until now. 

As a christmas present my wife got me a 4l Mini Keg System from Keg King - here is the exact system I have now: www.keg-king.com.au/4-litre-mini-keg-ss-fc-kit-llp-coupler.html

As I'm a total new comer to keggin I've tried to read as much as I can however almost everything is pretty specific to 19L corny kegs and full sized c02 bottles etc so I'm hoping I can ask some questions here that you folks may be able to assist me with.....I have tried to find the answers on this and other forums but nothing specifically seems to answer my questions so here I go: 

- Can I force carbonate my 4L keg via the set and forget method without chewing through thousands of 16g bulbs? If so does anyone have experience on how many this may take?  my Advice don't use 16g bulbs you will chew them up pretty quick, save them for serving .

- When force carbonating my understanding is that I can place the keg into the fridge, set the PSI to serving pressure, and leave it for a certain amount of time (some have suggested 3-4 days would be enough for a 4l Keg)......how can I tell if the 16g bulb has run out during this time (would the pressure on the regulator just drop to 0)? 

This is not Force carbing your beer, its actually the set and forget method.  where you  set your guage to say 10-12 psi @ 2°c  for 7days (19l keg)  most likely for 4l  it will not as take as long for the gas to absorb into the beer  and would be ready in  4 days

Force Carbing your Beer is when you set your regulator to 30-40 psi 24 hours and then  lowering  the psi while burping the keg  to serving pressure

- Once the keg has been forced carbed, can I simply remove the c02 via the quick disconnect and leave the keg in the fridge until I want to serve (by putting in a new bulb and setting to serving pressure again)? I assume for most systems the process would be to turn on the gas to serving pressure as your serving, but after you've finished a session you'd turn the gas off? 

personelly i can drink 4l in a session s o i just set the bulb to serving pressure and once the cannister is empty i just put another bulb in as the regulator is already set at serving pressure.

but to answer your question is you can remove the disconnect and it will stay carbed , it may lose carb over along period of time or there is a small leak .

1 thing to remember if you planning on  disconnecting from the disconnect   is to shut of the regulator to 0 pressure and do not  unscrew bulb  from the regulator as you will lose whats left in the bulb as you cant shut that off then.

- A suggestion I have noticed is to replace the 16g c02 bulbs with a sodastream cannister using a converter - does anyone have any ideas on how/what parts I would need for this given the 4l mini keg system I've linked above? 

a soda stream bottle is a great way for small mini kegs like you have   and will save you money on carbing  beer    

This is the Adapter you will need in the pic below.
My Advice how to use this with the sodastream to avoid loss of gass when connecting

1. Attach adapter to mini reg first with the mini reg in the closed position
2  then screw the soda stream to the adapter but dont pierce the sodastream cannister yet
3 get a shifter and place on the cannister and while holding the mini reg quickly screw the cannister on quickly as  Gas will disperse  just screw on until no gas is coming out.

sorry for all the (probably stupid) questions, but I have a real gap in my knowledge when it comes to kegging, gassing etc so if these questions are answered somewhere else or if anyone has a suggestion on where I can go to better learn some of this stuff please sing out, happy to go read up/watch anything that may give some more detailed info ;) 

Thanks in advance folks ;) 

Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by ozdevil1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gash

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top