You are not logged in.

Biggie juice

• Johno
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago #2734 by Johno
Replied by Johno on topic Biggie juice
probably a bit late for the juicy Lucy brew Finroo and you may have all ready watched some of this but I thought there is some relevance.......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #2736 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Biggie juice
Awesome thanks Johnno, I watched this morning and will watch again. I had nt seen it but I have seen others and it appears that everyone that brews it are really stretching the boundries to their own taste and preference colour and aroma etc, and there is absolutly nothing wrong with that in my book, but im yet to see a recipe on you tube thats sticks more to the guide lines of the apparent style.
I did get alot out of the video, enjoyed it and thanks for posting.
And I better go out and drop lucy down to 2degC. Cheers

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #2740 by Finnroo
Just had another look at this video, so I thought 300g of hops was alot but compared to his 650g we,re not so excessive as I maybe thought. Im just not used to adding any more that say a total of 120g for an IPA.
Am I right that he got bitterness by adding hops at flame out, I didnt know that would happen, so thats very interesting, ill have to research that.
Im a day behind with Lucy so Im going out now to prepare bottles for bottleing tomorrow.
Thought I might carb at 2.3 ,any thoughts on that
Cheers.:cheer:
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Finnroo.

• Johno
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 6 months ago #2742 by Johno
Replied by Johno on topic Biggie juice
Yeah that's right, anything over 80 odd deg C adds bitterness be it a little slower. Gash might enlighten us further?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Finnroo

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #2744 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Biggie juice
Yep flameout will add bitterness, it will be less then doing it in the same amount of boil time mainly because its not moving around. It's the reason no chill and late hopping is a problem, because the wort sits for 20min above that 80c and thats why with no chill you add 20mins to all bittering hops, or move your 60min add to 40min. Is that confusing ? lol

I've known a few people that have made IPAs just from flameout hops!

There is a lot of confusion around because a lot of people always said it didnt (myths again!)

What doesnt help the confusion is many breweries use a different way of measuring bitterness.. actual bitterness or perceived bitterness.. Some breweries dont add that bitterness to the final bitterness they list on their beers. Now I'm getting confused hahaha.

So its best to remember that whirlpool flameout above 80 will add some bitterness. I lobbied the guy that wrote beersmith to add it for years, he finally did but one of the reasons he never wanted to is that its very hard to measure exactly how much it will add.

Bitterness is truly hard to measure full stop let alone the variables that can happen after flameout. Even the hops you may of removed from the kettle before adding flameout hops, their oils in the wort continue to bitter. You're 60min hops will too but so minimal its probably not worth noting, but oils for any late hopping will continue bittering through the steep. Again hard to measure exactly how much.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Gash.

More
6 years 6 months ago #2745 by Gash
Because Dry hops don't add bitterness in the usual amounts used, thats where the myth would of started, people thought that because the wort wasn't boiling it wouldnt happen there either. Also steeps weren't that much of a thing because hoppy beers weren't much of a thing either 20 years ago. If you have a death wish taste a hop pellet, its bloody bitter, add enough in a dry hop and I reckon you could definitely bitter a beer with just dry hopping too, it might take a fair amount though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: haggie, Finnroo

More
6 years 6 months ago #2746 by Finnroo
Thanks for that answer guys, and it reminds me of why we should always take notes on recipe and taste etc.
Awesome,

More
6 years 6 months ago #2750 by Finnroo
She s bottled at last. Ended up bottling 14 litres. Everything went perfect until the last bottle inwhich I decided that I would , in a moment of madness, put a funnel ontop and run the remains in through the funnel from the bottling bucket. Alass the weight of the bucket caused the bottle to slip suddenly off its base and headed at bullet speed towards the filled bottles with the caps resting quietly on top awaiting the capper. I managed I think ,with my elbow to redirect it into a stack of empties and strike them asunder in a shower of beer as I dropped the bottle bucket and funnel. Brilliant.
Cheers ,Out there brewing it.

More
6 years 6 months ago #2751 by Gash
OH NO .. oh man.. close call though! Nice save!

More
6 years 6 months ago #2752 by Gash
OH NO .. oh man.. close call though! Nice save!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Finnroo

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top