You are not logged in.

Biggie juice

• Johno
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago #2867 by Johno
Replied by Johno on topic Biggie juice
I think Feral been sold to Coca-Cola Amatil, I dont think biggie will survive for long being a brewery only tap.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #2872 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Biggie juice
What would i change? well first I would change the Moutere hops at 17%AA with the Wai-iti at around 3%AA. Reason because I like the taste and I think low %AA is key.
But hops are all personal choice. And I think if i was cleaver i could drop the hop rate and still achieve great results.
As far as the grain goes i was quite happy but i might replace say 500g of pale with 500g of Aurora to maybe give it a bit of orange. I would also bring the mash time back to an hour. I mashed at 67.8degC over i think 2.5 hours and ended up at 60degC. I got alot more fermentables over that range ending up with 4 points higher on OG and down to I think 1010( maybe 1012) which gave me a whopping 7% but probably a thinner body.
I was happy with it, adding cryatal would sweeten it up but not sure if thats to style.
Thanks again Johno and Gash I had a blast. Cheers, out there brewing it.
Here is a video from Dinoz reviewing NEIPA and i asked a couple of questions.

More
6 years 4 months ago #2876 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Biggie juice
Hail Dinoooo, cheers mate!

More
6 years 4 months ago #2877 by Gash
Hail Dinoooo, cheers mate!

• Johno
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 3 months ago #2912 by Johno
I still haven't had the balls to try to brew a NEIPA yet and at the moment still happy to gather intelligence. There is an experiment on Brulosophy where they do Biotransforming of the yeast on a NEIPA that is very interesting but it looks like there is not one thing that is going to make a JUICY neipa but rather a combination everything coming together.

Simply put, biotransformation is said to occur as a result of the interaction of hop oils and active yeast, leading to a transformation of certain terpenoids into terpenoids that weren’t originally present. A fascinating concept that many have posited may be responsible for the qualitative differences between New England and other styles of IPA.

Thanks Finnroo for your tasty sample and honest attempt- your a legend
The following user(s) said Thank You: Finnroo

More
6 years 3 months ago #2915 by Finnroo
Thanks for that Johno, its been a great project. Cheers and all the best for the season.
I think Gash was brewing something similar but I hav nt heard how its gone. Im picking he might do a you tube tasting and chat about it soon. Anyway Cheers.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #2917 by Finnroo
And right on que here it is. And this is only an opinion i think that brewers like to add crystal to this style.to get rid of the dryness.
So alot of very cool stuff going on here, a very complex style that gash has made look simple and i would urge everyone to give it a go.
The thing is though, what about the addition of crystal as ive said in earlier posts with this style. To style its not there. So where im going with this is, How do we make a juicy IPA without any crystal. Crystal adds sweetness to a beer a bit like adding a spoon ful of sugar to your cup of tea.
Gash (with respect) added 100g of crystal to the mash plus the crystal that s in the coopers kit.
Personally after the Juicy Lucy project as ive said before i would go for more crystal malt to get rid of the dryness.
Lastly ive noticed that the profile of this style is not followed closely by other brewers and i wonder if the original Biggie Juice is.
Brewing is an outstanding hobbie and i just love it. take care all.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Finnroo.

• Johno
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 3 months ago #2918 by Johno
If you flip your sulfate to chloride ratio in favour of the chloride then perceived sweetness will shine.
Great video as always Gash- Thanks

More
6 years 3 months ago #2919 by Gash
I think its hard especially since there is no true definition of style yet, and both my AG and Coopers versions were made without much study simply because I've been using a lot of these techniques for years, so all I really did and flaked grain, and slightly upped the hops. Eventually when the style is official I'm pretty sure my versions will be classed as too bitter, but I need at least a touch of bitterness in my beers.

RE: Salts - I did have a bit in my video about salts but in editing I cut it out, I didn't want to scare beginners off and its really hard to give water advice to people since all our waters can be very different. Although I didnt go nuts with the coopers kit I did add some calcium. The follow up vid will explain that, I recorded an extra bit to go on the front of the last video like a disclaimer hahaha but recorded it on my PC webcam and it was shit so I left it off, and will bring up them topics in the next vid.

Cheers! Very interesting thread this!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top