FG: 1.012
ABV: 9.3%
IBU: 90
6 Gallons

8.25lbs English Pale Malt (3.5L)
8.25lbs 2-row
1lb Dextrose
Mash at 147* for 75min
Stone gives the exact hops they use. I substituted a few based on what I have, what I want to use up, and what I feel won't make a difference. You'll see the hop Stone uses in parenthesis.
2oz Belma (Calypso) - Mash Hopped
10ml Hop Extract @ 90min
1oz ea. Simcoe, Belma (Delta), Northern Brewer(Target), Amarillo @ 15
1.25oz ea. Citra, Cascade, Centennial (Motueka) @ Flameout
Whirlpool for 20min
WLP007 - Dry English Ale Yeast
Dry Hop 1: 1.5oz ea Nelson Sauvin & Galaxy
Dry Hop 2: 1.5oz ea Nelson Sauvin & Galaxy

Mitch Steele is pretty awesome, as he ended up responding to my e-mail. Let's clarify that sentence. I emailed Stone's generic 'This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.' address, and Mitch Steele, their Brewmaster, responds. That's awesome for a few reasons, most of which being that Stone and Mitch clearly care about the homebrewing community. Anyway, he told me Enjoy By is a mix of American and English 2-row with a little dextrose. I settled in on a 50/50 blend, and about 5-6% Dextrose. He also said that both the late-kettle and whirlpool hop additions were a little over 1lb/bbl. I decided that approx. 4oz of hops per addition was appropriate. Since Stone already goes into great detail about their hop schedule, we've pretty much got the whole recipe.

I started off by whipping up a 3L starter of WLP007 on my stir plate. I hit the starter with plenty of nutrients and O2 before pitching in a fresh vial. That fermented out pretty quick, and I ended up brewing this on April Fools day. It's been a beautiful and warm Spring, which made for a nice day to brew outside. I mashed for 75min, boiled for 90min, and somehow managed to hit my target OG. Then I whirlpooled the wort for 20min immediately after flameout before I began chilling it. The wort was 62F flowing into the fermenter, and I oxygenated for 90sec before pitching my slug of yeast. The yeast took off within 12 hours, and hit final gravity in around 5 days.

I racked this beer into a keg to act as a secondary after roughly a week, and added the first dose of dry hops. I'm definitely digging the dry hopper mesh-thing-ama-jig from Stainless Brewing that I've used on my past few IPAs. I tossed the second dry hop addition in four days after the first. This time around, I just threw the second dose right in with the first. I don't like making extra work for myself, and I'm not seeing the need to remove each dry hop addition. Anyway, typical stuff, I racked to a clean keg, fined with gelatin and carbed it up.

Stone's timing was amazing, as they released Enjoy By 05.17.13 on the same day I kegged my clone. I ended up calling mine Enjoy By 05.20.13. Kidding aside, this is without-a-doubt, the best comparison I've been able to make between a clone and commercial beer, as both were brewed and packaged on roughly the same dates.

So is it cloned? Overwhelming yes, with a slight caveat.

Appearance is absolutely 100% bang-on. I literally can't tell the beers apart by looking at them. The aroma follows the appearance: Absolutely identical. Huge fruity aromas that scream Southern Hemisphere hops, with pine and citrus in the background. There's a slightly dank character in both beers that I'm pretty sure comes from the Nelson, as my prior Galaxy beers didn't exhibit that.

The flavor is nearly identical. Huge hop flavor, some light, almost SMaSH like malt character, before a drying bitterness lingers. My beer has a hint more body, which took a few minutes to detect. I actually lost track of which beer was which, and that was the only difference I found.

Let's go back to that question: Is it cloned? I say yes because these two beers are brutally hard to distinguish. I said there's a caveat because this beer needs to be dried out roughly two more points. The yeast character from 007 was absolutely spot on, but we need more attenuation, which I'm genuinely not sure how to do. I mashed low and long, used plenty of yeast nutrients, pitched a big healthy slug of yeast, and added plenty of oxygen to the wort. This really leads me to believe that Stone's house yeast is more attenuative than 007 is. I'm probably going to brew this again with either 001 or 090, and see how the beer fairs with a neutral American strain. My thoughts are it'll be close, but the 007 beer will be closer despite the (slightly) bigger body.

Long story short, this is one of the best IPAs I've ever made. If you'd force me to choose between my recent Younger clone and this, you'd have to wait a long time for an answer, which leads to my next point. I'm getting married this Fall, and our wedding venue is allowing me to serve my own beer at the wedding. Choosing which three beers to serve, let alone a single IPA, has actually been really hard. Yet when I pulled the first sample from this keg I knew, this is the IPA I'm going to serve at our wedding.

And so, I'd like to thank Stone, and specifically Mitch Steele. Thanks for the awesome recipe, and supporting home brewers. This beer was all their work and efforts; I merely brewed it. If you're a fan of Enjoy By, you owe it to yourself it give this recipe a try. It's amazing.

Source www.bertusbrewery.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top