You are not logged in.

My Hark Smoker and Pickled &Smoked Chicken Wheels

• Klemmstein
  • Klemmstein's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #2159 by Klemmstein
G'day from South Aussie guys, next to the beautiful Barossa Valley.

Just thought that I would say 'hi' and let you drool (hopefully that's all you'll be doing ;) ) over my Pickled &Smoked Chicken Wheels. I usually knock these up for Chrissy as we usually have a Chicken & Champagne Christmas breakfast tradition here in my household, although my youngest son wants to change it to beer & bourbon ! Will have to take him up on that one year (his buy!) ;)

Cheers...

I'm a happily married man...
I'm married and she's happy !
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Klemmstein.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #2160 by Gash
ohhhhh they look good! Not a bad little smoker that I have one myself, I think I prefer the flavour from charcoal/heatbeads but I find myself using this all the time, so easy and no hassle, its great, especially in winter.. Come on spit out the recipe :)
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Gash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Klemmstein

• Klemmstein
  • Klemmstein's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #2161 by Klemmstein
Replied by Klemmstein on topic My Hark Smoker and Pickled &Smoked Chicken Wheels

Come on spit out the recipe :)

Yep, they sure are a crowd pleaser!.... :P

I use Pineapple Flavoured Pumping Compound 525g from Master Butchers,
(I usually follow the mixing ratio as listed on the packet. I have used a stronger mix as well and enjoyed it).
It's really about your own taste. Add salt to help pickle and for taste. In a 10kg batch, I usually put in about 800g. If you like things saltier, then by all means, just up the salt quota and then mix with water.
Combine in a large food grade bucket, 1 litre of pickle to 1kg of chicken legs.
As I said, I tend to do 10kg of Chicken Wheels at a time, so that's 10kg chicken legs, to 10lt of pickle mix.
I wait for the special deals in the supermarket and do the Chicken Wheels for storage in the freezer for impromptu consumption (with a few good mates and some craft beer).
Cover the food grade bucket and refrigerate for 12hrs, then drain and smoke in the HARK. I use red gum sawdust, this gives that beautiful colour and combines well with the chicken/pickle mix.

Also, If you're into rabbiting, as I am, when I butt out the back and rear legs of the rabbit (these I bone out, tenderise and coat to make up Rabbit Schnittys), I make up the same pickle mix and soak the rabbit ribcage and front legs for a couple of hours and then HARK them. Most times people hardly use let alone eat the front half of the rabbit, (due to minimal meat) but I can almost guarantee that if you pickle and smoke them, people will scoff the lot and gnaw the bones clean, as if they've been left in a paddock for a year!

Give it a whirl, you wont be disappointed.
Cheers.

I'm a happily married man...
I'm married and she's happy !
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Klemmstein.

More
7 years 8 months ago #2165 by Gash
Thanks for that mate! Cheers!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top