You are not logged in.

Coopers Chocolate and Vanilla Stout (EXTRACT)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago - 7 years 4 months ago #1198 by
Coopers Chocolate and Vanilla Stout

1.7kg Coopers Stout
1.5kg Liquid Dark Malt Extract* (see bottom of post)
200g Chocolate Malt (Grain)
100g Raw Cacao Powder** (see bottom of post)
Vanilla Beans

Steep Chocolate Malt in 2L of water overnight in the fridge
Strain the grain and rinse with 1L of hot water (below 80c)
Boil resulting 'tea' for 5 minutes
Add Cacao and split Vanilla bean and boil for a further 10mins
Empty all ingredients into fermenter
Top with cold water to 19L
Pitch yeast at 19c
Soak two more Vanilla Beans in Vodka for a few days
After 5 days of fermenting you can either rack the beer into a secondary and add the Vodka soaked Vanilla Beans or can just add the Vodka and Vanilla Beans to the Primary for the rest of fermentation.
Should be finished fermenting in around 10 days total.
Bottle or Keg as usual.

* The Dark Malt Extract can be substituted with 1.2kg of any dried malt (dark/light etc)
** The Cacao powder can be substituted with Cocoa or Chocolate Essence (See Video)
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Gash.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago #1199 by Dullahan Brewing
Replied by Dullahan Brewing on topic Coopers Chocolate and Vanilla Stout (EXTRACT)
What did you decide to do about the vanilla extract you made ? B)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago #1200 by
As usual couldn't bothered with a secondary so chucked half in the primary, and more in the keg, the video is uploading now, and should be up in a few hours, but I'm going to bed! Cheers :)

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago #1201 by Dullahan Brewing
Replied by Dullahan Brewing on topic Coopers Chocolate and Vanilla Stout (EXTRACT)
You are going to have a heavy hi of vanilla from that m8.I must try that vanilla soaking myself soon. :woohoo:

More
9 years 11 months ago #1262 by bowral68
Replied by bowral68 on topic Coopers Chocolate and Vanilla Stout (EXTRACT)
Hey Gash,

I tried this out and when I opened up the Fermenter to put the Vanilla in, I noticed the attached. It looks a bit like an infection. Beer smells great, tastes a bit bitter but not sour that I can tell. Was wondering if you have seen this before, maybe it is residue from the cacao powder? Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks
Attachments:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #1263 by
From what I can see it looks ok, really hard to tell from here, not much you can do but wait and see! Good Luck!
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by .

More
3 years 9 months ago #4693 by Madiman
Replied by Madiman on topic Coopers Chocolate and Vanilla Stout (EXTRACT)
Regarding the Coopers Chocolate vanilla stout, the 200 g of Choc malt grain, was of a burnt grain flavour, not chocolate - is this correct, it refers to colours rather than flavour - Correct, ??? was I sold the correct grain ?

Tim

More
3 years 3 weeks ago - 3 years 3 weeks ago #5212 by BrewN00b
Replied by BrewN00b on topic Coopers Chocolate and Vanilla Stout (EXTRACT)
Wow, this looks incredible.

First off, hey folks, first time poster and about to brew my first homebrew (the basic stout kit featured in the vid) in a few weeks. My hope is I can nail the first simple kit brew, and then build on that with recipe above...couple of simple questions I was hoping you folks could help me with though:

Keen to get anyone's opinion on if a stout is tricker than a pale or lager/draught (talking the basic kit here)?

When it comes to stouts I tend to prefer a relatively low carbonation, do you think if I'm using the coopers carbonation drops in a 750ml PET bottle I could get away with 1 tablet (compared to the recommended 2 drops)? I may just experiment with some of the bottles with 1 drop and some with 2.

Do you guys think I'm nuts for wanting to try the recipe above or is it doable for a brand spanking noob like myself? I've already been talked out of doing the full recipe above as my first so just curious if I should shelve the idea and focus on a number of kit brews first....

Sorry for stupid questions but I'm going to have tons more of them. Love the content and suppprt I've seen from the community and keen to get brewing. Thanks in advance guys!
Last edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by BrewN00b.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago #5215 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Coopers Chocolate and Vanilla Stout (EXTRACT)
Hello0 Noob and welcome aboard, they aren't stupid questions and I know where your coming from. Ill reply in full tomorrow with my thoughts. In the mean time ive just posted a You tube video and its here on this site under Finnroo brew Videos. Here's the link, hope you find it useful and it links into some part of your question. Cheers mate.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago - 3 years 3 weeks ago #5217 by BrewN00b
Replied by BrewN00b on topic Coopers Chocolate and Vanilla Stout (EXTRACT)
Thanks mate, really appreciate it.
Checked out the video....funnily enough the only reason I hadn't started my first brew is I'm waiting for my STC1000 to arrive ;) I have my 95L bar fridge from a mate and a heating belt as well so I'm really hoping to be able to lock down those temps during the ferment process! Being in Adelaide it can get toasty during the days and cold overnight so it's probably a mandatory addition to the kit for us.
Loved the vid, subbed to your YT channel now!

Thanks again mate and look forward to hearing your thoughts ;)

I also absolutely need to know more about that Chocolate Milk Porter!
Last edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by BrewN00b.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top