You are not logged in.

Coffee Stout

• MTbottle
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #3367 by MTbottle
Coffee Stout was created by MTbottle
I'm fixing to make a stout soon, and I'd like to get some opinions on the amount of coffee to add after the boil. I have a gallon of coffee that I froze for just this purpose, and I went online to see how much brewed coffee others are using in their recipes. The results are not a very good average - all the way from 4 ounces to 1 1/2 qts ( 1 1/2 liters is close enough for me). I'd like to hear from others who have made coffee stouts that were spot on for them as far as the amount of brewed coffee they used.
The coffee that I've frozen is from a restaurant here where I live, and is, by itself a pretty 'stout' cuppa java, so that might affect your answers/opinions. I love strong, bitter coffee, so don't think you will be offending me if you tell me that I should avoid making a 'coffee-forward' beer, as a matter of fact I'd like strong coffee to be the main flavor, rather than worrying about 'maltiness' or 'mouthfeel' or something else.
NOTE: I may not get back to you right away, I've got a lot of honey-do's to take care of.

Any opinions/advice is welcomed,
Thanks,
MTbottle
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by MTbottle. Reason: FFE's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #3368 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Coffee Stout
Can't say I'm much help I havent used coffee in a beer, I've read a lot, and have many recipe examples. Only advice I would give is maybe test, pour a glass and add drops or teaspoons till it gets the right taste your after and calculate it out. If it was me I'd do that before the ferment was finished to hopefully get rid of any oxidation that may happen, but being a big roasty beer oxidation may not be that apparent. and far enough into ferment so the sweetness of the wort doesnt skew things. You could always just have a play in a commercial stout or one of your other brews.
Really hard to say how much to add and so many ways to do it. You've probably seen something like this? byo.com/article/brewing-with-coffee/

Cheers mate!

• MTbottle
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 9 months ago #3369 by MTbottle
Replied by MTbottle on topic Coffee Stout
Thanks for the linky! I made a couple of chocolate mochas, but the coffee didn't come through - probably becuz I really like chocolate, and 'may' have added a little bit heavy on the choco?

More
5 years 9 months ago #3372 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Coffee Stout
Thats possible i guess! Sorry mate went away with the family for a week. Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MTbottle

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top