You are not logged in.

× Welcome to Cellar Dweller a place for brewers of all kinds to share recipes, ideas and build a database of information that we can all benefit from.

Have fun and enjoy yourselves here and try to play nice in the sandbox!

Please sign up to the site and help us build this community! If you would like to have any of your videos on the site or information please feel free to contact one of the administrators.

If there is any information in the forum that is missing or incorrect please contact the administrators. We are not gonna police you lot - please use common sense.

Also if you would like a section added let us know, we have endeavoured to cover all bases but you never know it is after all your community to build.

We have a lot of exciting things planned for the future and we hope YOU can be a part of it!

Cheers!

Better late than never

• the bad shepherd
  • the bad shepherd's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 4 months ago #5565 by the bad shepherd
Replied by the bad shepherd on topic Better late than never
Thanks Finnroo and Gash. Definitely appreciate the advice from a couple of very experienced brewers. Will let you know what I end up with and how it goes in the NY. Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SkidBaxter
  • Beer & Music Geek since Birth...That explains it.
More
2 years 3 months ago #5566 by SkidBaxter
Replied by SkidBaxter on topic Better late than never
Brilliant. Cheers!

• SkidBaxter
  • Beer & Music Geek since Birth...That explains it.
More
2 years 3 months ago #5567 by SkidBaxter
Replied by SkidBaxter on topic Better late than never
Congratulations Bad Shepherd!
I am in love with Idaho 7.Some pals of mine over at Brew-Dudes (on YouTube) just profiled this hop today. Cheers!

• the bad shepherd
More
2 years 3 months ago #5568 by the bad shepherd
Carbed just in time for Christmas and it’s a hit! So good I’m having one for breakfast!! MERRY CHRISTMAS

More
2 years 3 months ago #5569 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Better late than never
Thats great mate. Cheers! Merry Christmas

• the bad shepherd
More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #5574 by the bad shepherd
Picked up a basic InkBird for $43 so along with my $50 fridge I'm all set up for temperature control. Just in time for summer too which is good because it's been bloody hot down here at the bottom of the South Island! Decided to go with a basic Pale Ale to see how much better the beer turns out with controlled fermentation. Went with a can of Coopers Australian Pale Ale, a can of Black Rock Ultra Light Unhopped, 200g of light crystal steeped with 20g El Dorado hop stand. Will dry hop with the other 80g. Decided to use 2 packets of the Coopers yeast as had them. Appreciate the tips, replying to the posts and especially all of the videos. Cheers
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by the bad shepherd.

More
2 years 2 months ago #5575 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Better late than never
Its very often the biggest improvement most brewers have. Good luck! Cheers mate

More
2 years 2 months ago #5576 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Better late than never
JUst a heads up, incase your not sure, tape a piece of foam, like yoga mate or wet suit material type thing about the size of a match box to your barrel about 10 litres up. Poke the probe down into that so it reads the barrel temp and not the air around it on the out side. This keeps the yeast from rising the wort temp above what youve set it at.
Another tip is to set your ferm temp at 18 or 19 for the first 3 days and then bump up the temp by 3deg C until finished. This is called a diacetyl rest and it prompts the yeast to start cleaning up any diacetyl its produced in the early stages of the process. That the very basic idea.
You probably know this and Gash has a few videos you may have seen on the subjects. If so all good. Well done, a fermenting fridge for under a hundy.
Legend. Cheers mate.

• the bad shepherd
More
2 years 2 months ago #5578 by the bad shepherd
Cheers. Fermenting at 18 degrees, planning on increase to 20 degrees for a diacetyl rest. Should I do this when I dry hop or before?

More
2 years 2 months ago #5579 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Better late than never
I don't dry hop, but if I did I'd dry hop after day 2, and then bump up the temp after day 3. I stand to be corrected on this. A decent addition after the 3 day could cause additional D. that the yeast won't clean up. I'm not an expert on this area and maybe Gash can help ,sure he will. Its called hop creap where ensigns from the hops further convert some unfermentable sugars into fermentable sugars making the yeast crank up again and produce a slightly higher ABV but with the added D. With the yeast not being stimulated by an increase in ferm temp. At the homebrew level of 23 litres it may well not be an issues. But don't sweat it or over think it but day 2 I would go for. Hope this hasn't caused you any anxiety. Cheers mate.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top