You are not logged in.

× Welcome to Cellar Dweller a place for brewers of all kinds to share recipes, ideas and build a database of information that we can all benefit from.

Have fun and enjoy yourselves here and try to play nice in the sandbox!

Please sign up to the site and help us build this community! If you would like to have any of your videos on the site or information please feel free to contact one of the administrators.

If there is any information in the forum that is missing or incorrect please contact the administrators. We are not gonna police you lot - please use common sense.

Also if you would like a section added let us know, we have endeavoured to cover all bases but you never know it is after all your community to build.

We have a lot of exciting things planned for the future and we hope YOU can be a part of it!

Cheers!

Jump to all grain with Robobrew

• Canuck
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 1 month ago #3794 by Canuck
Jump to all grain with Robobrew was created by Canuck
Hi Everyone!!
Glenn here, I have been enjoying the explosion of craft beer micro breweries here in Ontario, Canada and all they have to offer. I took the plunge over christmas and bought a Mr Beer kit and did my first extract beer, conditioning at the moment. I soon found myself wanting to delve deeper into this craft. After watching gash's videos on the Robobrew , I took the plunge. I finished my first brew yesterday, all went well, except the sparge took about 1.5 hours on a 7kg grain bill, not sure if this is normal or not. We will see how it turns out. Thanks again Gash for your youtube videos, I have been learning tons, easy to follow and informative.
thanks
Glenn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #3796 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Jump to all grain with Robobrew
G'day Glenn, Maybe you can try Rice Hulls in the mash or Wet Grain Conditioning which should help your sparge.
7kg is quite a big grain bill so I would expect it to be slow, not that slow though.
You can also try stirring before mash out, dont go scrapping the bottom screen but a good stir will help, this of course will mean either not using the top screen at all or removing it near the end, which could be difficult unless you maybe attach some copper or stainless wire to the top screen small handles. just stir 1/2 to 3/4 down or so it shouldnt muddy your wort, even if it does you'll find with the 15min mash out (5min ramp and 10min Mashout) it'll clear up again. Also doesnt hurt to stir 2 or 3 times during mash, especially with a large grain bill like that. Cheers mate!

More
5 years 1 month ago #3798 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Jump to all grain with Robobrew
I dont use the fine screen anymore either

• Canuck
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 1 month ago #3800 by Canuck
Replied by Canuck on topic Jump to all grain with Robobrew
Hiya Gash
Thanks for all the suggestions, I am definitely going to stick to more reasonable grain bills as I go forward around the 5kg mark. I purchased Beersmith today just so I can become more familiar with Robobrew specific recipes from yourself and others. I will leave the fine screen off on subsequent brews which will probably help, it just seemed like the water was draining thru a coffee filter slowly. The main thing is that its fermenting and smells pretty good .
thanks again
and have a great day

More
5 years 1 month ago #3813 by portas1971
Replied by portas1971 on topic Jump to all grain with Robobrew
Hey Glenn, I have never had a stuck sparge yet on my Robobrew Gen3 (touch wood). I use the top screen. I use 200-250gm of rice hulls only if have wheat, oats or rye in the grain bill. Sparge time rarely exceeds 15min (is this too quick?)
My grain bills are generally in the vicinity of 4.5-6kg.
My advice is to thoroughly dough in, wetting the grain, making sure there are no dough balls. This take me about 7-10 minutes.
Cheers mate
Andrew

• Canuck
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 1 month ago #3819 by Canuck
Replied by Canuck on topic Jump to all grain with Robobrew
Hiya Andrew
I will definitely take that kinda of time stirring in the mash and taking advantage of rice hulls. Fifteen minutes sounds like a way better sparge time
Have a great day !
glenn

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top