You are not logged in.

× Welcome to Cellar Dweller a place for brewers of all kinds to share recipes, ideas and build a database of information that we can all benefit from.

Have fun and enjoy yourselves here and try to play nice in the sandbox!

Please sign up to the site and help us build this community! If you would like to have any of your videos on the site or information please feel free to contact one of the administrators.

If there is any information in the forum that is missing or incorrect please contact the administrators. We are not gonna police you lot - please use common sense.

Also if you would like a section added let us know, we have endeavoured to cover all bases but you never know it is after all your community to build.

We have a lot of exciting things planned for the future and we hope YOU can be a part of it!

Cheers!

First time all grain

More
4 years 7 months ago #4205 by KT
First time all grain was created by KT
G'Day, brewers.
I finally got my first all-grain brew down. It's a bit of a mixture of a couple of pale ale brews. I brewed in my BREWZILLA 65L and dumped it into a 55L FERMZILLA. I really have struggled using beersmith 3, so I went for Brewfather as well.
My query is, my pre-boil gravity was only a couple of points up at 1.049. My post-boil gravity was only 1.050. Is that right? I used 8.4kg of Joe White, 1.4kg of Munich Viking Malt and 600g of Simpsons crystal medium. Any thoughts on what is happening? I also used 164g of various hops at different times.
I can't seem to get my volumes to what I actually used in beersmith, it won't let me change some of them.
Anyway, we'll see how it turns out.
Thanks for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #4206 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic First time all grain
Gday, I would assume that the preboil gravity was wrong, maybe not stirred up? I usually wait till its boiling.
At a guess in beersmith I'd say that the "calculate boil volume automatically" is probably ticked in the equipment profile, you can turn that off and adjust to what you need or use.
Cheers!

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #4207 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic First time all grain
Gidday, Can I ask how much is you actual fermentation volume you put into the 55L fermzilla thingy. Was it 55 litres ? cheers
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Finnroo.

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #4208 by Finnroo

my First screen shot lol.phew. So i entered what info i had and put it into a free soft ware called brewmate. and thats what we got. Its almost like youve read the hyrometer wrong. Like your pre boil is out by 13 and post by 9. Interested to know how you get on. cheers
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Finnroo.

More
4 years 7 months ago #4209 by KT
Replied by KT on topic First time all grain
I followed your routine with your maiden voyage Brewzilla. 41 litres mash and 26 sparge. I took the reading about 10 mins to go on the boil. 1.049

More
4 years 7 months ago #4210 by Finnroo
Sorry mate, Finnroo here, do you mean 10 minutes into the boil or 10 minutes left in the boil? cheers

More
4 years 7 months ago #4211 by KT
Hi Finn. In Gash's video, he takes a reading just after the boil. Beersmith cooks my head lol.

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #4212 by Gash
Just quickly looking at what you entered Finn, and theres something wrong.. see if you can change the strike to about 40 and the sparge to about 26. and zero out the top up water added to the kettle. See what happens then.

I dont think KT is actually too far off in the numbers, 1.050 , 10kg grain double batch, seems close just off the top of my head.

KT preboil is just before you add your first hops, the 60min hops. Post is at the end after you've turned it off or cooled it.

Your post boil seems close, but this is just off the top of my head.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Gash.

More
4 years 7 months ago #4213 by Gash
oh and drop the volume a bit ummm maybe 46L

More
4 years 7 months ago #4215 by KT
Cheers Gash, I followed your routine on the Brewzilla. Took the reading just before boil and hops with the refractometer. I took the next reading just before it went into the fermenter. I'm dry hopping tonight, which is day 3.
I'll have another go at beersmith. Is there any way you can see it on beersmith? It isn't saved yet until I fix it.
Thanks for the help.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top