You are not logged in.

× Welcome to Cellar Dweller a place for brewers of all kinds to share recipes, ideas and build a database of information that we can all benefit from.

Have fun and enjoy yourselves here and try to play nice in the sandbox!

Please sign up to the site and help us build this community! If you would like to have any of your videos on the site or information please feel free to contact one of the administrators.

If there is any information in the forum that is missing or incorrect please contact the administrators. We are not gonna police you lot - please use common sense.

Also if you would like a section added let us know, we have endeavoured to cover all bases but you never know it is after all your community to build.

We have a lot of exciting things planned for the future and we hope YOU can be a part of it!

Cheers!

Cheers!

• DazScott
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 10 months ago #5285 by DazScott
Cheers! was created by DazScott
Hi guys, thanks for adding me. I've been mash brewing for about a year now but starting to get a bit more serious lately. Im hoping to follow the decoction mash pilsener this weekend, ordered everything I need but realised I only ordered one pack of liquid pilsener yeast. I see that it is suggested to use 2 or even 3 packs of dry yeast. Should I try and get more yeast? Not sure if I can get more of the liquid yeast, should I get a pack or two of dry yeast and mix them together?

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago #5286 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Cheers!
Sorry i missed your post but welcome. One pack should do the job ok if your stuck. Or get a couple of packets of dry and save you liquid yeast for another day or yes you could mix the dry with the liquid yeast.
Or you could if you can make a yeast starter with your liquid yeast.
Cheers hop it goes well.

• DazScott
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 10 months ago #5288 by DazScott
Replied by DazScott on topic Cheers!
Thanks mate. I didn’t see your message and didn’t make it to the brew shop to get more yeast. Oh well lesson learnt for future. Brewed today and it all went pretty smoothly but I was a bit high on the OG at 1.050. See how it turns out. 

cheers 

• DazScott
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 10 months ago #5289 by DazScott
I got the wort in the fermenter Sunday afternoon and let it get down to about 16 degrees on sunday night before pitching the yeast (had a lot of problems getting the temperature probe to stick to the side of the fermenter). I checked it this morning and there is no action in there, should I get some more packs of yeast to throw in now do you think or let it go and see what happens? I used the Wyeast Pilsener yeast and it didn't swell up like they normally do when I activated it.

Thanks!

More
2 years 10 months ago #5290 by Finnroo
Ok first thing is don't panic . Sometimes it can take a couple of days to get going. It may be that the one packet are getting ready for the big job ahead. I've had 3 days with minimal action and then boom. Give it another day and see what happens. Try and get that probe taped on good.( but that's not going to matter as far as kick off goes)
Have a look tomorrow and hopefully it will be fine. Check this post out when i did my lager (the only one ive done) www.cellardweller.net/index.php/en/forum...east/761-lager-yeast
I had a quick google around about smack packs not doing their thing and its quite common and the results have been fine.
Can you see if there is any activity on top of the wort, and bubbles etc. Often sometimes there can be an air leak in your fermenter somewhere and the bubbler wont work. Doesn't take much.
I hope it goes well and i think it should, give it another day and see.
If after 3 days there is no sigh of activity then maybe pitch 2 packets of dry yeast(I would rehydrate but you don't really need to.)
Im really keen to hear how this goes ,cheers and good luck

• DazScott
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 10 months ago #5295 by DazScott
Thanks for that. No there is no action at all, if there was condensation at the top of the fermenter I wouldn't be so worried. I have had problems a couple of years ago doing an extract brew where I thought it wasn't working because the airlock wasn't bubbling but I could see condensation on top of the fermenter and the krausen was forming. Not this time unfortunately.
I might grab a couple of packs of yeast this afternoon anyway just in case because I have some time, do you think I should throw them in considering I should have used more than one pack or just hold off and see what happens?
Had so many problems getting my pitch temperature right because the probe kept coming off the fermenter no matter what tape I used. Finally found some old double sided foam stuff that stuck really well but it meant that the yeast was sitting in the smack pack for hours longer than expected.

Thanks so much for your help. Cheers.

More
2 years 10 months ago #5297 by Finnroo
MMM yes if after 3 days nothing is happening then throw some extra yeast in.
If your yeast was ok then something should happen soon. Even if your yeast was bad something should still happen. Unless you have an infection somewhere in your fermenter.?
Still don't worry yet, have a look tomorrow. Very often we worry about the lag time of a brew but it can be a couple of days and i don't know why. Cheers and let us know how it goes I'm very interested

• DazScott
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 10 months ago #5300 by DazScott
Ok I checked the fermenter this morning and we finally have some action. Its bubbling but not heaps, I will have another look tonight when I get home from work. This is the first time I have used my fermentation fridge and I messed up getting the temperature right from the start. its at 13 degrees at the moment so I will leave it there for a while and then raise it up a bit.
I am still bottling my beers and I read somewhere to bottle after ferment then leave them somewhere to carbonate for several weeks before lagering at 3 degrees for 4 weeks. Is that a good way to do it do you think? Or just I just lager in the fermenter?Should I still cold crash the beer before bottling or is that for kegging only?

Cheers.

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #5301 by Finnroo
Ok, so I would bump it up to 15degC until it really starts to kick off then drop down to 12 degC. The fact that you've got a bit going on in the fermenter is great. !3deg is a bit cool to start with. If when you get home is bubbling away ok then I would leave it at 13degC. Back in a moment.......OK im back. Yeah have another look at the link I posted and try and follow that. Including 
ramping it up at the end to clean up.. As far as lagering goes you need to get it off the yeast cake so if you could transfer it (rack it) would be good into another fermenter and crash at 2 deg for a month. Then bottle.    OR  I guess you could bottle it and cold crash in the bottles for a month (with your carb drops) and then condition for 2 weeks at 19 degC to carbonate. That would work well i think. Cheers keep in touch.
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Finnroo.

• DazScott
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 10 months ago #5302 by DazScott
Hi mate,

Sorry its been a busy week and I havent had a chance to reply as yet. When I checked it the other night it was bubbling away ok, I wouldnt say it was vigorous but it was ok so I left it at 13 degrees. I have had a look at your post on your lager and you left it at 12 degrees for 10 days before ramping it up. Should I start my 10 days from when it started bubbling do you think or when I pitched the yeast. I spent so much time worrying about the brew day I didnt put much thought into the ferment and I really should have done this differently. Anyway Ill push ahead and see what happens with it. My plan is to ferment like you did, ramp it up after 10 days,  then crash chill, bottle, lager for 4 weeks, then leave for a couple more weeks to carbonate. Sound ok?

Thanks so much for all of your advice, I really want to do this beer again now to fix my mistakes!!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top