You are not logged in.

Making a Recipe in Beersmith to suit the Robobrew

More
5 years 3 months ago #3768 by Allan
Hi All, attempting my first brew this weekend and got a few questions regarding setting up a recipe to follow. Mainly just using other people recipes at the moment.

Firstly I got a recipe from my LHB and in the process of putting it in beersmith. Just want to check with you guys if I got all the profiles correctly as my IBUs are @ 52 compared to the recipes 34.

I also looked at recipes on the beersmith website, I'm assuming you just use the scale recipe tool and select the appropriate equipment profile? No other little settings I should be changing.

I haven't looked into the carbonation (I'm kegging) and fermentation profiles yet. Do I need to worry about this in beersmith?

Cheers

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #3769 by Gash
So a couple of things that will get it a bit closer, I cut out the 15min whirlpool time and I dropped the AA% down in Beersmith to match the recipe, though yes you should do it to match the actual hops you have. So now its saying about 41ibus. Much closer. The rest of the difference would just come from different setups..
You need to adjust hop amounts. You could use the bitterness scale adjuster but that will adjust all of the hops, in my opinion keeping the fuggles at 50g for flavour/aroma is a good thing. So I'd adjust it manually.

You could either drop the 30min to 10g. Or drop the 60min to 20g.

All these hop adjustments were with challenger adjusted to AA 7% like the recipe, if your actual hop was AA 7.5%, 20g/20g still pretty close, or 25g/10g would work.

I'd also drop the BH Efficiency in beersmith to 75% since its a first time brew and that gets your numbers closer too, most recipes online or in shops will be made for BH efficiency for 65-75% somewhere. Robo gets quite high eff, if all goes well due to less loss than a big 3V system.

Side note.. I never understand a 30min addition, its just adding bitterness so its more economical to drop the amount a touch and put it at 60min with the other... (Could remove 30min totally and use about 36g @60min)

Hope that makes sense, please don't hesitate with any more questions, cheers mate!

More
5 years 3 months ago #3770 by Gash
If you are planning a whirlpool, no chill or just have a very slow chiller let me know and we can adjust again for that.

More
5 years 3 months ago #3773 by Allan
Awsome, I think I was to focused on the profiles to think about changing the AA or ingredient amounts but makes sense now you have pointed it out.

Thanks for mentioning the hop additions as just did some research into effects each has and now understand what you mean about adding more at the beginning. Will try this as I read it is supposed to be a smoother/better blended way of adding bitterness rather than @ 30min like you said. Cheers

More
5 years 3 months ago #3774 by Allan
I didn't get any whirfloc so was thinking about whirlpooling at the end of the boil. I will be no chilling so was going to delay my hope additions by 10min (I think that's what you mentioned in one of your videos).

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top