You are not logged in.

Priming sugar for bottling

• Finnroo
  • Finnroo's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 4 months ago #5100 by Finnroo
Priming sugar for bottling was created by Finnroo
BeerRay1986 - Sat 21 Nov - 12:44

BeerRay asks. Hi all does anyone had a set amount of priming sugar they use to bottling? i use online calculators and its always under carbed!!! cheers guys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #5102 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Priming sugar for bottling
Yes this always happened to me using online calculators.
It’s about 6grams per longneck 750ml. And 3g per stubby. Cheers

• Finnroo
More
3 years 4 months ago #5103 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Priming sugar for bottling
Years ago I built my self a hot box out of an old wardrobe. Set the temp to 20deg c but just could not get a decent carbonation. Sometimes I just cannot see the wood for the trees. Turn out that because I had fitted the light bulb and thermostat at the inside top of the wardrobe where the temp was sitting nicely at 20degc ,the bottom of the wardrobe where i had my bottles sitting to carbonate was about 10degc. Cheers ,a bit of food for thought lol.

• Finnroo
More
3 years 4 months ago #5104 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Priming sugar for bottling
Oh ,so sorry ,i forgot to ask are you bulk adding sugar into a bottling bucket?
If so and your carb temp is good and after 2 weeks priming and a good 2 days in the fridge which is important ,and your still not happy just increase a bit. What style of carbonation are you going for. Ordinary bitter is very low for example but you may want to go more for an American IPA if your used to highly carbonated beers.
Like everything in home brewing, its a learning curve. Hope it goes well ,just dont over carb lol. cheers.

More
3 years 4 months ago #5105 by BeerRay1986
Replied by BeerRay1986 on topic Priming sugar for bottling
Gday

Thanks for the reply gash. I might do a couple of split batches to see the differences I’ve just been a bit worried about having bottle bombs.

Ray

More
3 years 4 months ago #5106 by BeerRay1986
Replied by BeerRay1986 on topic Priming sugar for bottling
Hi fineroo

After reading the few comments I decided to check a few things out I put a thermometer in the garage and have worked out where my beer is always sits between around 13-20 degrees of the last week. I’m thinking I may need to build a “hot box” type storage or get another fermentation fridge and use that for my carbonating. I am bulk priming I’ve given up with drops I’ve found it was to hit and miss for instance 2 carb drops in a 750 of a pale ale
I did was like champagne yet it had fully fermented I did a very similar beer and went for 2.6 on the carb calc and bulk primed and it was like english bitter or pump style tap. I’ll
Just have to have a play around with this one bit of trial and error. I’ve really increased my brewing recently so I’m going to have plenty to play around with.
Once again cheers for the response and happy brewing to all
Ray

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top