You are not logged in.

Scroll Bar (08 Jun 2017)

Scroll bar disappearing?.... Press F11 and then again press F11 - Im working on the fix - thanks for your patience.

First all grain/Grainfather

• Walruss
  • Walruss's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Dweller
  • Fresh Dweller
  • AKA RackOffBrewing
More
1 year 7 months ago #2053 by Walruss
Walruss created the topic: First all grain/Grainfather
Well the day went pretty well, my mash pH was 5.1 and the OG finished up at 1.055, was aiming for 1.054 so I thought that was close enough. I was doing a Mangrove Jack's Jacked Up APA and followed the instructions to the letter.
I now wish I hadn't. I pitched the yeast straight onto the wort at 21C instead of re-hydrating. Three days later and no activity in the fermenter. On the fourth day I lifted the lid, there was a fair bit of froth and a pretty bad aroma (like plastic)
my home brew guy suggested I pitch another packet of yeast which I did, this time rehydrated. After an hour or so the airlock had a fair amount of activity, that stopped today. I checked the SG and it was around 1.045, really bad taste and aroma. Will have to start again. I did my usual sanitizing so i'm pretty confident that was all good. Any ideas before I try again B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #2054 by Gash
Gash replied the topic: First all grain/Grainfather
Very strange.. SOme yeast can taste pretty filthy while fermenting.. but if its off theres no saving it.. very odd for it to go off though... Would be extremely unlucky :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 22 Nov - 16:24

David Cassidy Dead. Another rock icon gone.He was part of thye 70s glam promo thing with a tv show the partridge family. When the Sweet , Slade, T rex and Bowie were doing there thing some were pushed into the money making scams.RIP David. Ledgend :D

Gash's Avatar Gash - Sun 19 Nov - 23:30

dark day indeed!

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 19 Nov - 14:19

Black arm band day today Malcolm Young from ACDC dies at 68 years old. Best rock rhythem man of our time. Having a coopers pale and listening to Power Age. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Nov - 14:52

Bottled my Scottish ale and all went very well, washed 2 jars of yeast and that looks good too. Brew day tomorrow just preparing the liquor now. Was a bit worried about doing the yeast thing again but decided to get back on the pony and move forward. :D

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Tue 7 Nov - 07:59

Hi Paul, Ive posted a new post topic about Mauribrew yeast but seems to be Lager, Wheat and Engish style. :D

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

Forum Feed

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top