You are not logged in.

First AG brew day approaching, a few questions!

• Erik_l
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 3 months ago #1630 by Erik_l
Hey guys been lurking for a few weeks and reading up as much as possible, slowly building my setup bit by bit and I am ready for a small (15l) batch ready to brew this coming Friday (or thursday whenever I get my grains).

My question is; for sparging I have two 19L stock pots (money, they were $20 each!) and will do my mash and sparge in the pots. I am expecting temp losses and will be keeping a keen eye on the pot over the hour I am mashing, for sparging, Beersmith says to just add about 10L of water - The grain bag I have for my grains, could I just dunk and rest the entire bag in the second pot for mash out? I watched a video on YT where a guy used a ladle to slowly pour the water over the grain bag which was sitting over original strike water, but sitting in a colander. What do you guys think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 months ago #1631 by Gash
Yes you can dunk if you would prefer, that's actually what I do for small batches. Don't panic too much about the temp during mash. Try and get it right at the start and as long as the first 30mins is fairly stable all should be good, the pot, water and grain will mostly keep it warm by itself but would be good to wrap it with something to help keep it warm, a piece of exercise mat, blanket or sleeping bag. I do something very similar for my 5L batches, I realise you wont have the other pot to sit it in, but still gives you an idea. I'l post the vid here.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 months ago #1632 by Gash
I think with enough grain for a 15L batch you'd need a fairly big colander maybe too big, but it is an option both ways will work.

• Erik_l
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 3 months ago #1633 by Erik_l
Thanks Man, the videos you put up are great and my source of inspiration! I have my grains, but I forgot my hops (going back shortly, don't ask how I forgot!) but I pick up my yeast tomorrow, I am using White Labs California Ale V for my IPA, should I hydrate the yeast in some wort before I pitch it? I don't think I need a starter, but the guy at the LHBS said I should hydrate the yeast fist, about 20 minutes before pitching.

I am only brewing 15L batch, but my est gravity is 1.064

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 months ago #1634 by Gash
Re-hydration is not 100% necessary, but it is recommended. I have some info on here for rehydrating Safale yeast but its the same procedure.

www.cellardweller.net/index.php/brewing-...t-safale-rehydration

Cheers mate!

• Erik_l
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 3 months ago #1635 by Erik_l
Thanks man! I just boiled up some ldme and water and put in a sanitized flask to cool until tomorrow!

• camstans
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #1656 by camstans
Sprinkle on the foam - rehydration !!! cant say i ever noticed any difference doing it both ways.
Like Gash said, dont panic. Get your process down and get a few brews down and you'll realise theres alot of room and flexibility in beer making, especially for the good ol homebrewer.
It will be beer in the end mate !
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by camstans.

• Erik_l
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 months ago #1657 by Erik_l
yeah man I just dry hopped another 30g - Day 2, two more days then xfer to secondary for cold crashing!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top