You are not logged in.

Krausen blow out

• BeerRay1986
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #5229 by BeerRay1986
Krausen blow out was created by BeerRay1986
Hey brewers hope you are all good.

I put on a brew yesterday for the old man a St. Peter’s cream stout just an extract tin kit nothing flash and I had some London ale 1318 on hand and thought I’ll give it a shot it says it can do cream stouts. Pitched it at 25 didn’t let it warm up really just smacked and pitched as it’s never really made much difference in my opinion. Well 2 hours later the lid on my bucket fermenter blew off hahah and I had to fit a blow off tube and this morning I got up and same again lid blew off so I put my spare lid on all cleaned I hope no infection has got in. How can you stop this type of thing from happening? Did I pitch to warm?
Cheers
Ray

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 week ago #5232 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Krausen blow out
Hahaha brilliant. No not too warm , but yeast can do some unreal things sometimes. At the brewery where i work very part time I hear stories of dry hopping nightmares lol. The yeast just going nuts and the brewer can hardly screw the dry hop lid back down and there's wort and beer just totally hosing out the top, lol. I don't know why , it just sometimes happen. Has an infection occurred when pitching? Possibly , but lets hope not. Let us know how it turns out. Very interesting, cheers.

• BeerRay1986
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 1 week ago #5235 by BeerRay1986
Replied by BeerRay1986 on topic Krausen blow out
Gday finnroo

No infection tastes great actually just went mental but worse then that it’s come to a grinding halt at 1020 been there for 3 days now. I don’t have anymore London 1318 but I do have some left over us-05 I think I’ll pitch and try to get it going again if I bottle it now I can see it going back to my childhood of my uncles coopers stout bottles blowing up in the shed lol
Cheers
Ray

More
3 years 1 week ago #5236 by Finnroo
That's great news mate. There's nothing wrong with 1020. I've had it a lot with a certain mangroves Jacks yeast i think it was m44 ( ill have to check) And once i did throw some us05 at it and it went down tp 1012. I've never used 1318 .
I'm brewing at the moment, and will look into it tomorrow, but my gut tells me that yeast is doing what it should be doing and i would probably just go with it.
I need to look into why some yeasts have a high finish and other a low finish.
People talk about a stuck fermentation but to be honest i dont think we need to worry about that if we are fermenting within range. Cheers

• BeerRay1986
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 3 days ago #5242 by BeerRay1986
Replied by BeerRay1986 on topic Krausen blow out
Gday finroo

I ended up pitching 2 packets of us-04 as it’s the closest to 1318 that I had and it went down to 1016 that’s it. So it is what it is I just wanted to be sure but one thing I’ve noticed is the flavour has changed now with the newer yeast still good but not as sweeter finish see how it carbs up anyway.

Cheers
Ray

More
2 years 11 months ago #5247 by Finnroo
Sorry for the late reply. A great result ,sounds like you learnt alot about that yeast. Well done. Cheers mate ??

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top